1 Chronicles 14 – New International Version (NIV)
David’s House and Family
- Now Hiram king of Tyre sent messengers to David, along with cedar logs, stonemasons and carpenters to build a palace for him.
- And David knew that the Lord had established him as king over Israel and that his kingdom had been highly exalted for the sake of his people Israel.
- In Jerusalem David took more wives and became the father of more sons and daughters.
- These are the names of the children born to him there: Shammua, Shobab, Nathan, Solomon,
- Ibhar, Elishua, Elpelet,
- Nogah, Nepheg, Japhia,
- Elishama, Beeliada[a] and Eliphelet.
David Defeats the Philistines
- When the Philistines heard that David had been anointed king over all Israel, they went up in full force to search for him, but David heard about it and went out to meet them.
- Now the Philistines had come and raided the Valley of Rephaim;
- so David inquired of God: “Shall I go and attack the Philistines? Will you deliver them into my hands?” The Lord answered him, “Go, I will deliver them into your hands.”
- So David and his men went up to Baal Perazim, and there he defeated them. He said, “As waters break out, God has broken out against my enemies by my hand.” So that place was called Baal Perazim.[b]
- The Philistines had abandoned their gods there, and David gave orders to burn them in the fire.
- Once more the Philistines raided the valley;
- so David inquired of God again, and God answered him, “Do not go directly after them, but circle around them and attack them in front of the poplar trees.
- As soon as you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the poplar trees, move out to battle, because that will mean God has gone out in front of you to strike the Philistine army.”
- So David did as God commanded him, and they struck down the Philistine army, all the way from Gibeon to Gezer.
- So David’s fame spread throughout every land, and the Lord made all the nations fear him.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
1 Chronicles 14 – King James Version (KJV)
Gifts from Tyre
- Now Hiram king of Tyre sent messengers to David, and timber of cedars, with masons and carpenters, to build him an house.
- And David perceived that the LORD had confirmed him king over Israel, for his kingdom was lifted up on high, because of his people Israel.
- And David took more wives at Jerusalem: and David begat more sons and daughters.
- Now these are the names of his children which he had in Jerusalem; Shammua, and Shobab, Nathan, and Solomon,
- and Ibhar, and Elishua, and Elpalet,
- and Nogah, and Nepheg, and Japhia,
- and Elishama, and Beeliada, and Eliphalet.
- And when the Philistines heard that David was anointed king over all Israel, all the Philistines went up to seek David. And David heard of it, and went out against them.
- And the Philistines came and spread themselves in the valley of Rephaim.
- And David enquired of God, saying, Shall I go up against the Philistines? and wilt thou deliver them into mine hand? And the LORD said unto him, Go up; for I will deliver them into thine hand.
- So they came up to Baal-perazim; and David smote them there. Then David said, God hath broken in upon mine enemies by mine hand like the breaking forth of waters: therefore they called the name of that place Baal-perazim.
- And when they had left their gods there, David gave a commandment, and they were burned with fire.
- And the Philistines yet again spread themselves abroad in the valley.
- Therefore David enquired again of God; and God said unto him, Go not up after them; turn away from them, and come upon them over against the mulberry trees.
- And it shall be, when thou shalt hear a sound of going in the tops of the mulberry trees, that then thou shalt go out to battle: for God is gone forth before thee to smite the host of the Philistines.
- David therefore did as God commanded him: and they smote the host of the Philistines from Gibeon even to Gazer.
- And the fame of David went out into all lands; and the LORD brought the fear of him upon all nations.