1 Chronicles 15 – New International Version (NIV)
The Ark Brought to Jerusalem
- After David had constructed buildings for himself in the City of David, he prepared a place for the ark of God and pitched a tent for it.
- Then David said, “No one but the Levites may carry the ark of God, because the Lord chose them to carry the ark of the Lord and to minister before him forever.”
- David assembled all Israel in Jerusalem to bring up the ark of the Lord to the place he had prepared for it.
- He called together the descendants of Aaron and the Levites:
- From the descendants of Kohath, Uriel the leader and 120 relatives;
- from the descendants of Merari, Asaiah the leader and 220 relatives;
- from the descendants of Gershon,[a] Joel the leader and 130 relatives;
- from the descendants of Elizaphan, Shemaiah the leader and 200 relatives;
- from the descendants of Hebron, Eliel the leader and 80 relatives;
- from the descendants of Uzziel, Amminadab the leader and 112 relatives.
- Then David summoned Zadok and Abiathar the priests, and Uriel, Asaiah, Joel, Shemaiah, Eliel and Amminadab the Levites.
- He said to them, “You are the heads of the Levitical families; you and your fellow Levites are to consecrate yourselves and bring up the ark of the Lord, the God of Israel, to the place I have prepared for it.
- It was because you, the Levites, did not bring it up the first time that the Lord our God broke out in anger against us. We did not inquire of him about how to do it in the prescribed way.”
- So the priests and Levites consecrated themselves in order to bring up the ark of the Lord, the God of Israel.
- And the Levites carried the ark of God with the poles on their shoulders, as Moses had commanded in accordance with the word of the Lord.
- David told the leaders of the Levites to appoint their fellow Levites as musicians to make a joyful sound with musical instruments: lyres, harps and cymbals.
- So the Levites appointed Heman son of Joel; from his relatives, Asaph son of Berekiah; and from their relatives the Merarites, Ethan son of Kushaiah;
- and with them their relatives next in rank: Zechariah,[b] Jaaziel, Shemiramoth, Jehiel, Unni, Eliab, Benaiah, Maaseiah, Mattithiah, Eliphelehu, Mikneiah, Obed-Edom and Jeiel,[c] the gatekeepers.
- The musicians Heman, Asaph and Ethan were to sound the bronze cymbals;
- Zechariah, Jaaziel,[d] Shemiramoth, Jehiel, Unni, Eliab, Maaseiah and Benaiah were to play the lyres according to alamoth,[e]
- and Mattithiah, Eliphelehu, Mikneiah, Obed-Edom, Jeiel and Azaziah were to play the harps, directing according to sheminith.[f]
- Kenaniah the head Levite was in charge of the singing; that was his responsibility because he was skillful at it.
- Berekiah and Elkanah were to be doorkeepers for the ark.
- Shebaniah, Joshaphat, Nethanel, Amasai, Zechariah, Benaiah and Eliezer the priests were to blow trumpets before the ark of God. Obed-Edom and Jehiah were also to be doorkeepers for the ark.
- So David and the elders of Israel and the commanders of units of a thousand went to bring up the ark of the covenant of the Lord from the house of Obed-Edom, with rejoicing.
- Because God had helped the Levites who were carrying the ark of the covenant of the Lord, seven bulls and seven rams were sacrificed.
- Now David was clothed in a robe of fine linen, as were all the Levites who were carrying the ark, and as were the musicians, and Kenaniah, who was in charge of the singing of the choirs. David also wore a linen ephod.
- So all Israel brought up the ark of the covenant of the Lord with shouts, with the sounding of rams’ horns and trumpets, and of cymbals, and the playing of lyres and harps.
- As the ark of the covenant of the Lord was entering the City of David, Michal daughter of Saul watched from a window. And when she saw King David dancing and celebrating, she despised him in her heart.
a. 1 Chronicles 15:7 Hebrew Gershom, a variant of Gershon
b. 1 Chronicles 15:18 Three Hebrew manuscripts and most Septuagint manuscripts (see also verse 20 and 16:5); most Hebrew manuscripts Zechariah son and or Zechariah, Ben and
c. 1 Chronicles 15:18 Hebrew; Septuagint (see also verse 21) Jeiel and Azaziah
d. 1 Chronicles 15:20 See verse 18; Hebrew Aziel, a variant of Jaaziel.
e. 1 Chronicles 15:20 Probably a musical term
f. 1 Chronicles 15:21 Probably a musical term
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
1 Chronicles 15 – King James Version (KJV)
The Ark of the Lord
- And David made him houses in the city of David, and prepared a place for the ark of God, and pitched for it a tent.
- Then David said, None ought to carry the ark of God but the Levites: for them hath the LORD chosen to carry the ark of God, and to minister unto him for ever.
- And David gathered all Israel together to Jerusalem, to bring up the ark of the LORD unto his place, which he had prepared for it.
- And David assembled the children of Aaron, and the Levites:
- of the sons of Kohath; Uriel the chief, and his brethren an hundred and twenty:
- of the sons of Merari; Asaiah the chief, and his brethren two hundred and twenty:
- of the sons of Gershom; Joel the chief, and his brethren an hundred and thirty:
- of the sons of Elizaphan; Shemaiah the chief, and his brethren two hundred:
- of the sons of Hebron; Eliel the chief, and his brethren fourscore:
- of the sons of Uzziel; Amminadab the chief, and his brethren an hundred and twelve.
- And David called for Zadok and Abiathar the priests, and for the Levites, for Uriel, Asaiah, and Joel, Shemaiah, and Eliel, and Amminadab,
- and said unto them, Ye are the chief of the fathers of the Levites: sanctify yourselves, both ye and your brethren, that ye may bring up the ark of the LORD God of Israel unto the place that I have prepared for it.
- For because ye did it not at the first, the LORD our God made a breach upon us, for that we sought him not after the due order.
- So the priests and the Levites sanctified themselves to bring up the ark of the LORD God of Israel.
- And the children of the Levites bare the ark of God upon their shoulders with the staves thereon, as Moses commanded according to the word of the LORD.
- And David spake to the chief of the Levites to appoint their brethren to be the singers with instruments of musick, psalteries and harps and cymbals, sounding, by lifting up the voice with joy.
- So the Levites appointed Heman the son of Joel; and of his brethren, Asaph the son of Berechiah; and of the sons of Merari their brethren, Ethan the son of Kushaiah;
- and with them their brethren of the second degree, Zechariah, Ben, and Jaaziel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehiel, and Unni, Eliab, and Benaiah, and Maaseiah, and Mattithiah, and Elipheleh, and Mikneiah, and Obed-edom, and Jeiel, the porters.
- So the singers, Heman, Asaph, and Ethan, were appointed to sound with cymbals of brass;
- and Zechariah, and Aziel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehiel, and Unni, and Eliab, and Maaseiah, and Benaiah, with psalteries on Alamoth;
- and Mattithiah, and Elipheleh, and Mikneiah, and Obed-edom, and Jeiel, and Azaziah, with harps on the Sheminith to excel.
- And Chenaniah, chief of the Levites, was for song: he instructed about the song, because he was skilful.
- And Berechiah and Elkanah were doorkeepers for the ark.
- And Shebaniah, and Jehoshaphat, and Nethaneel, and Amasai, and Zechariah, and Benaiah, and Eliezer, the priests, did blow with the trumpets before the ark of God: and Obed-edom and Jehiah were doorkeepers for the ark.
- So David, and the elders of Israel, and the captains over thousands, went to bring up the ark of the covenant of the LORD out of the house of Obed-edom with joy.
- And it came to pass, when God helped the Levites that bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD, that they offered seven bullocks and seven rams.
- And David was clothed with a robe of fine linen, and all the Levites that bare the ark, and the singers, and Chenaniah the master of the song with the singers: David also had upon him an ephod of linen.
- Thus all Israel brought up the ark of the covenant of the LORD with shouting, and with sound of the cornet, and with trumpets, and with cymbals, making a noise with psalteries and harps.
- And it came to pass, as the ark of the covenant of the LORD came to the city of David, that Michal the daughter of Saul looking out at a window saw king David dancing and playing: and she despised him in her heart.