1 Chronicles 18 – New International Version (NIV)
- In the course of time, David defeated the Philistines and subdued them, and he took Gath and its surrounding villages from the control of the Philistines.
- David also defeated the Moabites, and they became subject to him and brought him tribute.
- Moreover, David defeated Hadadezer king of Zobah, in the vicinity of Hamath, when he went to set up his monument at[a] the Euphrates River.
- David captured a thousand of his chariots, seven thousand charioteers and twenty thousand foot soldiers. He hamstrung all but a hundred of the chariot horses.
- When the Arameans of Damascus came to help Hadadezer king of Zobah, David struck down twenty-two thousand of them.
- He put garrisons in the Aramean kingdom of Damascus, and the Arameans became subject to him and brought him tribute. The Lord gave David victory wherever he went.
- David took the gold shields carried by the officers of Hadadezer and brought them to Jerusalem.
- From Tebah[b] and Kun, towns that belonged to Hadadezer, David took a great quantity of bronze, which Solomon used to make the bronze Sea, the pillars and various bronze articles.
- When Tou king of Hamath heard that David had defeated the entire army of Hadadezer king of Zobah,
- he sent his son Hadoram to King David to greet him and congratulate him on his victory in battle over Hadadezer, who had been at war with Tou. Hadoram brought all kinds of articles of gold, of silver and of bronze.
- King David dedicated these articles to the Lord, as he had done with the silver and gold he had taken from all these nations: Edom and Moab, the Ammonites and the Philistines, and Amalek.
- Abishai son of Zeruiah struck down eighteen thousand Edomites in the Valley of Salt.
- He put garrisons in Edom, and all the Edomites became subject to David. The Lord gave David victory wherever he went.
- David reigned over all Israel, doing what was just and right for all his people.
- Joab son of Zeruiah was over the army; Jehoshaphat son of Ahilud was recorder;
- Zadok son of Ahitub and Ahimelek[c] son of Abiathar were priests; Shavsha was secretary;
- Benaiah son of Jehoiada was over the Kerethites and Pelethites; and David’s sons were chief officials at the king’s side.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
1 Chronicles 18 – King James Version (KJV)
- Now after this it came to pass, that David smote the Philistines, and subdued them, and took Gath and her towns out of the hand of the Philistines.
- And he smote Moab; and the Moabites became David’s servants, and brought gifts.
- And David smote Hadarezer king of Zobah unto Hamath, as he went to stablish his dominion by the river Euphrates.
- And David took from him a thousand chariots, and seven thousand horsemen, and twenty thousand footmen: David also houghed all the chariot horses, but reserved of them an hundred chariots.
- And when the Syrians of Damascus came to help Hadarezer king of Zobah, David slew of the Syrians two and twenty thousand men.
- Then David put garrisons in Syria-damascus; and the Syrians became David’s servants, and brought gifts. Thus the LORD preserved David whithersoever he went.
- And David took the shields of gold that were on the servants of Hadarezer, and brought them to Jerusalem.
- Likewise from Tibhath, and from Chun, cities of Hadarezer, brought David very much brass, wherewith Solomon made the brasen sea, and the pillars, and the vessels of brass.
- Now when Tou king of Hamath heard how David had smitten all the host of Hadarezer king of Zobah;
- he sent Hadoram his son to king David, to enquire of his welfare, and to congratulate him, because he had fought against Hadarezer, and smitten him; (for Hadarezer had war with Tou;) and with him all manner of vessels of gold and silver and brass.
- Them also king David dedicated unto the LORD, with the silver and the gold that he brought from all these nations; from Edom, and from Moab, and from the children of Ammon, and from the Philistines, and from Amalek.
- Moreover Abishai the son of Zeruiah slew of the Edomites in the valley of salt eighteen thousand.
- And he put garrisons in Edom; and all the Edomites became David’s servants. Thus the LORD preserved David whithersoever he went.
- So David reigned over all Israel, and executed judgment and justice among all his people.
- And Joab the son of Zeruiah was over the host; and Jehoshaphat the son of Ahilud, recorder.
- And Zadok the son of Ahitub, and Abimelech the son of Abiathar, were the priests; and Shavsha was scribe;
- and Benaiah the son of Jehoiada was over the Cherethites and the Pelethites; and the sons of David were chief about the king.