1 Chronicles 22 – New International Version (NIV)
- Then David said, “The house of the Lord God is to be here, and also the altar of burnt offering for Israel.”
Preparations for the Temple
- So David gave orders to assemble the foreigners residing in Israel, and from among them he appointed stonecutters to prepare dressed stone for building the house of God.
- He provided a large amount of iron to make nails for the doors of the gateways and for the fittings, and more bronze than could be weighed.
- He also provided more cedar logs than could be counted, for the Sidonians and Tyrians had brought large numbers of them to David.
- David said, “My son Solomon is young and inexperienced, and the house to be built for the Lord should be of great magnificence and fame and splendor in the sight of all the nations. Therefore I will make preparations for it.” So David made extensive preparations before his death.
- Then he called for his son Solomon and charged him to build a house for the Lord, the God of Israel.
- David said to Solomon: “My son, I had it in my heart to build a house for the Name of the Lord my God.
- But this word of the Lord came to me: ‘You have shed much blood and have fought many wars. You are not to build a house for my Name, because you have shed much blood on the earth in my sight.
- But you will have a son who will be a man of peace and rest, and I will give him rest from all his enemies on every side. His name will be Solomon,[a] and I will grant Israel peace and quiet during his reign.
- He is the one who will build a house for my Name. He will be my son, and I will be his father. And I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel forever.’
- “Now, my son, the Lord be with you, and may you have success and build the house of the Lord your God, as he said you would.
- May the Lord give you discretion and understanding when he puts you in command over Israel, so that you may keep the law of the Lord your God.
- Then you will have success if you are careful to observe the decrees and laws that the Lord gave Moses for Israel. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged.
- “I have taken great pains to provide for the temple of the Lord a hundred thousand talents[b] of gold, a million talents[c] of silver, quantities of bronze and iron too great to be weighed, and wood and stone. And you may add to them.
- You have many workers: stonecutters, masons and carpenters, as well as those skilled in every kind of work
- in gold and silver, bronze and iron—craftsmen beyond number. Now begin the work, and the Lord be with you.”
- Then David ordered all the leaders of Israel to help his son Solomon.
- He said to them, “Is not the Lord your God with you? And has he not granted you rest on every side? For he has given the inhabitants of the land into my hands, and the land is subject to the Lord and to his people.
- Now devote your heart and soul to seeking the Lord your God. Begin to build the sanctuary of the Lord God, so that you may bring the ark of the covenant of the Lord and the sacred articles belonging to God into the temple that will be built for the Name of the Lord.”
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
1 Chronicles 22 – King James Version (KJV)
Plans for the Temple
- Then David said, This is the house of the LORD God, and this is the altar of the burnt offering for Israel.
- And David commanded to gather together the strangers that were in the land of Israel; and he set masons to hew wrought stones to build the house of God.
- And David prepared iron in abundance for the nails for the doors of the gates, and for the joinings; and brass in abundance without weight;
- also cedar trees in abundance: for the Zidonians and they of Tyre brought much cedar wood to David.
- And David said, Solomon my son is young and tender, and the house that is to be builded for the LORD must be exceeding magnifical, of fame and of glory throughout all countries: I will therefore now make preparation for it. So David prepared abundantly before his death.
- Then he called for Solomon his son, and charged him to build an house for the LORD God of Israel.
- And David said to Solomon, My son, as for me, it was in my mind to build an house unto the name of the LORD my God:
- but the word of the LORD came to me, saying, Thou hast shed blood abundantly, and hast made great wars: thou shalt not build an house unto my name, because thou hast shed much blood upon the earth in my sight.
- Behold, a son shall be born to thee, who shall be a man of rest; and I will give him rest from all his enemies round about: for his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quietness unto Israel in his days.
- He shall build an house for my name; and he shall be my son, and I will be his father; and I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel for ever.
- Now, my son, the LORD be with thee; and prosper thou, and build the house of the LORD thy God, as he hath said of thee.
- Only the LORD give thee wisdom and understanding, and give thee charge concerning Israel, that thou mayest keep the law of the LORD thy God.
- Then shalt thou prosper, if thou takest heed to fulfil the statutes and judgments which the LORD charged Moses with concerning Israel: be strong, and of good courage; dread not, nor be dismayed.
- Now, behold, in my trouble I have prepared for the house of the LORD an hundred thousand talents of gold, and a thousand thousand talents of silver; and of brass and iron without weight; for it is in abundance: timber also and stone have I prepared; and thou mayest add thereto.
- Moreover there are workmen with thee in abundance, hewers and workers of stone and timber, and all manner of cunning men for every manner of work.
- Of the gold, the silver, and the brass, and the iron, there is no number. Arise therefore, and be doing, and the LORD be with thee.
- David also commanded all the princes of Israel to help Solomon his son, saying,
- Is not the LORD your God with you? and hath he not given you rest on every side? for he hath given the inhabitants of the land into mine hand; and the land is subdued before the LORD, and before his people.
- Now set your heart and your soul to seek the LORD your God; arise therefore, and build ye the sanctuary of the LORD God, to bring the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and the holy vessels of God, into the house that is to be built to the name of the LORD.