1 Chronicles 9 – New International Version (NIV)
The People in Jerusalem
- All Israel was listed in the genealogies recorded in the book of the kings of Israel and Judah. They were taken captive to Babylon because of their unfaithfulness.
The People in Jerusalem
- Now the first to resettle on their own property in their own towns were some Israelites, priests, Levites and temple servants.
- Those from Judah, from Benjamin, and from Ephraim and Manasseh who lived in Jerusalem were:
- Uthai son of Ammihud, the son of Omri, the son of Imri, the son of Bani, a descendant of Perez son of Judah.
- Of the Shelanites[a]: Asaiah the firstborn and his sons.
- Of the Zerahites: Jeuel. The people from Judah numbered 690.
- Of the Benjamites: Sallu son of Meshullam, the son of Hodaviah, the son of Hassenuah;
- Ibneiah son of Jeroham; Elah son of Uzzi, the son of Mikri; and Meshullam son of Shephatiah, the son of Reuel, the son of Ibnijah.
- The people from Benjamin, as listed in their genealogy, numbered 956. All these men were heads of their families.
- Of the priests: Jedaiah; Jehoiarib; Jakin;
- Azariah son of Hilkiah, the son of Meshullam, the son of Zadok, the son of Meraioth, the son of Ahitub, the official in charge of the house of God;
- Adaiah son of Jeroham, the son of Pashhur, the son of Malkijah; and Maasai son of Adiel, the son of Jahzerah, the son of Meshullam, the son of Meshillemith, the son of Immer.
- The priests, who were heads of families, numbered 1,760. They were able men, responsible for ministering in the house of God.
- Of the Levites: Shemaiah son of Hasshub, the son of Azrikam, the son of Hashabiah, a Merarite;
- Bakbakkar, Heresh, Galal and Mattaniah son of Mika, the son of Zikri, the son of Asaph;
- Obadiah son of Shemaiah, the son of Galal, the son of Jeduthun; and Berekiah son of Asa, the son of Elkanah, who lived in the villages of the Netophathites.
- The gatekeepers: Shallum, Akkub, Talmon, Ahiman and their fellow Levites, Shallum their chief
- being stationed at the King’s Gate on the east, up to the present time. These were the gatekeepers belonging to the camp of the Levites.
- Shallum son of Kore, the son of Ebiasaph, the son of Korah, and his fellow gatekeepers from his family (the Korahites) were responsible for guarding the thresholds of the tent just as their ancestors had been responsible for guarding the entrance to the dwelling of the Lord.
- In earlier times Phinehas son of Eleazar was the official in charge of the gatekeepers, and the Lord was with him.
- Zechariah son of Meshelemiah was the gatekeeper at the entrance to the tent of meeting.
- Altogether, those chosen to be gatekeepers at the thresholds numbered 212. They were registered by genealogy in their villages. The gatekeepers had been assigned to their positions of trust by David and Samuel the seer.
- They and their descendants were in charge of guarding the gates of the house of the Lord—the house called the tent of meeting.
- The gatekeepers were on the four sides: east, west, north and south.
- Their fellow Levites in their villages had to come from time to time and share their duties for seven-day periods.
- But the four principal gatekeepers, who were Levites, were entrusted with the responsibility for the rooms and treasuries in the house of God.
- They would spend the night stationed around the house of God, because they had to guard it; and they had charge of the key for opening it each morning.
- Some of them were in charge of the articles used in the temple service; they counted them when they were brought in and when they were taken out.
- Others were assigned to take care of the furnishings and all the other articles of the sanctuary, as well as the special flour and wine, and the olive oil, incense and spices.
- But some of the priests took care of mixing the spices.
- A Levite named Mattithiah, the firstborn son of Shallum the Korahite, was entrusted with the responsibility for baking the offering bread.
- Some of the Kohathites, their fellow Levites, were in charge of preparing for every Sabbath the bread set out on the table.
- Those who were musicians, heads of Levite families, stayed in the rooms of the temple and were exempt from other duties because they were responsible for the work day and night.
- All these were heads of Levite families, chiefs as listed in their genealogy, and they lived in Jerusalem.
The Genealogy of Saul
- Jeiel the father[b] of Gibeon lived in Gibeon. His wife’s name was Maakah,
- and his firstborn son was Abdon, followed by Zur, Kish, Baal, Ner, Nadab,
- Gedor, Ahio, Zechariah and Mikloth.
- Mikloth was the father of Shimeam. They too lived near their relatives in Jerusalem.
- Ner was the father of Kish, Kish the father of Saul, and Saul the father of Jonathan, Malki-Shua, Abinadab and Esh-Baal.[c]
- The son of Jonathan: Merib-Baal,[d] who was the father of Micah.
- The sons of Micah: Pithon, Melek, Tahrea and Ahaz.[e]
- Ahaz was the father of Jadah, Jadah[f] was the father of Alemeth, Azmaveth and Zimri, and Zimri was the father of Moza.
- Moza was the father of Binea; Rephaiah was his son, Eleasah his son and Azel his son.
- Azel had six sons, and these were their names: Azrikam, Bokeru, Ishmael, Sheariah, Obadiah and Hanan. These were the sons of Azel.
a. 1 Chronicles 9:5 See Num. 26:20; Hebrew Shilonites.
b. 1 Chronicles 9:35 Father may mean civic leader or military leader.
c. 1 Chronicles 9:39 Also known as Ish-Bosheth
d. 1 Chronicles 9:40 Also known as Mephibosheth
e. 1 Chronicles 9:41 Vulgate and Syriac (see also Septuagint and 8:35); Hebrew does not have and Ahaz.
f. 1 Chronicles 9:42 Some Hebrew manuscripts and Septuagint (see also 8:36); most Hebrew manuscripts Jarah, Jarah
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
1 Chronicles 9 – King James Version (KJV)
Inhabitants of Jerusalem
- So all Israel were reckoned by genealogies; and, behold, they were written in the book of the kings of Israel and Judah, who were carried away to Babylon for their transgression.
- Now the first inhabitants that dwelt in their possessions in their cities were, the Israelites, the priests, Levites, and the Nethinims.
- And in Jerusalem dwelt of the children of Judah, and of the children of Benjamin, and of the children of Ephraim, and Manasseh;
- Uthai the son of Ammihud, the son of Omri, the son of Imri, the son of Bani, of the children of Pharez the son of Judah.
- And of the Shilonites; Asaiah the firstborn, and his sons.
- And of the sons of Zerah; Jeuel, and their brethren, six hundred and ninety.
- And of the sons of Benjamin; Sallu the son of Meshullam, the son of Hodaviah, the son of Hasenuah,
- and Ibneiah the son of Jeroham, and Elah the son of Uzzi, the son of Michri, and Meshullam the son of Shephathiah, the son of Reuel, the son of Ibnijah;
- and their brethren, according to their generations, nine hundred and fifty and six. All these men were chief of the fathers in the house of their fathers.
- And of the priests; Jedaiah, and Jehoiarib, and Jachin,
- and Azariah the son of Hilkiah, the son of Meshullam, the son of Zadok, the son of Meraioth, the son of Ahitub, the ruler of the house of God;
- and Adaiah the son of Jeroham, the son of Pashur, the son of Malchijah, and Maasiai the son of Adiel, the son of Jahzerah, the son of Meshullam, the son of Meshillemith, the son of Immer;
- and their brethren, heads of the house of their fathers, a thousand and seven hundred and threescore; very able men for the work of the service of the house of God.
- And of the Levites; Shemaiah the son of Hasshub, the son of Azrikam, the son of Hashabiah, of the sons of Merari;
- and Bakbakkar, Heresh, and Galal, and Mattaniah the son of Micah, the son of Zichri, the son of Asaph;
- and Obadiah the son of Shemaiah, the son of Galal, the son of Jeduthun, and Berechiah the son of Asa, the son of Elkanah, that dwelt in the villages of the Netophathites.
- And the porters were, Shallum, and Akkub, and Talmon, and Ahiman, and their brethren: Shallum was the chief;
- who hitherto waited in the king’s gate eastward: they were porters in the companies of the children of Levi.
- And Shallum the son of Kore, the son of Ebiasaph, the son of Korah, and his brethren, of the house of his father, the Korahites, were over the work of the service, keepers of the gates of the tabernacle: and their fathers, being over the host of the LORD, were keepers of the entry.
- And Phinehas the son of Eleazar was the ruler over them in time past, and the LORD was with him.
- And Zechariah the son of Meshelemiah was porter of the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.
- All these which were chosen to be porters in the gates were two hundred and twelve. These were reckoned by their genealogy in their villages, whom David and Samuel the seer did ordain in their set office.
- So they and their children had the oversight of the gates of the house of the LORD, namely, the house of the tabernacle, by wards.
- In four quarters were the porters, toward the east, west, north, and south.
- And their brethren, which were in their villages, were to come after seven days from time to time with them.
- For these Levites, the four chief porters, were in their set office, and were over the chambers and treasuries of the house of God.
- And they lodged round about the house of God, because the charge was upon them, and the opening thereof every morning pertained to them.
- And certain of them had the charge of the ministering vessels, that they should bring them in and out by tale.
- Some of them also were appointed to oversee the vessels, and all the instruments of the sanctuary, and the fine flour, and the wine, and the oil, and the frankincense, and the spices.
- And some of the sons of the priests made the ointment of the spices.
- And Mattithiah, one of the Levites, who was the firstborn of Shallum the Korahite, had the set office over the things that were made in the pans.
- And other of their brethren, of the sons of the Kohathites, were over the shewbread, to prepare it every sabbath.
- And these are the singers, chief of the fathers of the Levites, who remaining in the chambers were free: for they were employed in that work day and night.
- These chief fathers of the Levites were chief throughout their generations; these dwelt at Jerusalem.
Inhabitants of Jerusalem
- And in Gibeon dwelt the father of Gibeon, Jehiel, whose wife’s name was Maachah:
- and his firstborn son Abdon, then Zur, and Kish, and Baal, and Ner, and Nadab,
- and Gedor, and Ahio, and Zechariah, and Mikloth.
- And Mikloth begat Shimeam. And they also dwelt with their brethren at Jerusalem, over against their brethren.
- And Ner begat Kish; and Kish begat Saul; and Saul begat Jonathan, and Malchi-shua, and Abinadab, and Eshbaal.
- And the son of Jonathan was Merib-baal: and Merib-baal begat Micah.
- And the sons of Micah were, Pithon, and Melech, and Tahrea, and Ahaz.
- And Ahaz begat Jarah; and Jarah begat Alemeth, and Azmaveth, and Zimri; and Zimri begat Moza;
- and Moza begat Binea; and Rephaiah his son, Eleasah his son, Azel his son.
- And Azel had six sons, whose names are these, Azrikam, Bocheru, and Ishmael, and Sheariah, and Obadiah, and Hanan: these were the sons of Azel.