1 Corinthians 11 – New International Version (NIV)
- Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.
On Covering the Head in Worship
- I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the traditions just as I passed them on to you.
- But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man,[a] and the head of Christ is God.
- Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head.
- But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved.
- For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.
- A man ought not to cover his head,[b] since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man.
- For man did not come from woman, but woman from man;
- neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.
- It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own[c] head, because of the angels.
- Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman.
- For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.
- Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?
- Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him,
- but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.
- If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God.
Correcting an Abuse of the Lord’s Supper
- In the following directives I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good.
- In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it.
- No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God’s approval.
- So then, when you come together, it is not the Lord’s Supper you eat,
- for when you are eating, some of you go ahead with your own private suppers. As a result, one person remains hungry and another gets drunk.
- Don’t you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God by humiliating those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you? Certainly not in this matter!
- For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread,
- and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
- In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”
- For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.
- So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.
- Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup.
- For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.
- That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.
- But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment.
- Nevertheless, when we are judged in this way by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be finally condemned with the world.
- So then, my brothers and sisters, when you gather to eat, you should all eat together.
- Anyone who is hungry should eat something at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment.
And when I come I will give further directions.
a. 1 Corinthians 11:3 Or of the wife is her husband
b. 1 Corinthians 11:7 Or 4 Every man who prays or prophesies with long hair dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with no covering of hair dishonors her head—she is just like one of the “shorn women.” 6 If a woman has no covering, let her be for now with short hair; but since it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair shorn or shaved, she should grow it again. 7 A man ought not to have long hair
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
1 Corinthians 11 – King James Version (KJV)
- Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
- Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
- But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
- Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
- But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
- For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
- For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
- For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.
- Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
- For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
- Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
- For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.
- Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
- Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
- But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
- But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.
- Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse.
- For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
- For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.
- When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord’s supper.
- For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.
- What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.
- For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
- And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
- After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
- For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till he come.
- Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
- But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
- For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.
- For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
- For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
- But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.
- Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.
- And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.