1 Corinthians 6 – New International Version (NIV)
Lawsuits Among Believers
- If any of you has a dispute with another, do you dare to take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the Lord’s people?
- Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases?
- Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!
- Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, do you ask for a ruling from those whose way of life is scorned in the church?
- I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers?
- But instead, one brother takes another to court—and this in front of unbelievers!
- The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated?
- Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, and you do this to your brothers and sisters.
- Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a]
- nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
- And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
- “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything.
- You say, “Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, and God will destroy them both.” The body, however, is not meant for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.
- By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also.
- Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never!
- Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.”[b]
- But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit.[c]
- Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body.
- Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;
- you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
1 Corinthians 6 – King James Version (KJV)
- Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?
- Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
- Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
- If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.
- I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?
- But brother goeth to law with brother, and that before the unbelievers.
- Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another. Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?
- Nay, ye do wrong, and defraud, and that your brethren.
- Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
- Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
- And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
- All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
- Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body.
- And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power.
- Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
- What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
- But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
- Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
- What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
- For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.