1 John 3 – New International Version (NIV)
- See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
- Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears,[a] we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.
- All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure.
- Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.
- But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.
- No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.
- Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.
- The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.
- No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.
- This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.
More on Love and Hatred
- For this is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another.
- Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own actions were evil and his brother’s were righteous.
- Do not be surprised, my brothers and sisters,[b] if the world hates you.
- We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death.
- 1Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.
- This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.
- If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?
- Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.
- This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence:
- If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.
- Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God
- and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him.
- And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.
- The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
1 John 3 – King James Version (KJV)
- Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
- Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
- And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
- Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
- And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
- Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
- Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
- He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
- Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
- In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
- For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
- Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother’s righteous.
- Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
- We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
- Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
- Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
- But whoso hath this world’s good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
- My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
- And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
- For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
- Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
- And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
- And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
- And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.