1 Peter 4 – New International Version (NIV)
Living for God
- Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin.
- As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.
- For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry.
- They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you.
- But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.
- For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.
- The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray.
- Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
- Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.
- Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
- If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.
Suffering for Being a Christian
- Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.
- But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.
- If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.
- If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler.
- However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.
- For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?
- And, “If it is hard for the righteous to be saved,
what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?”[a]
- So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
1 Peter 4 – King James Version (KJV)
- Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
- That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.
- For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:
- Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:
- Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
- For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
- But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.
- And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
- Use hospitality one to another without grudging.
- As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
- If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
- Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
- But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
- If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.
- But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men’s matters.
- Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.
- For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
- And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?
- Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.