1 Peter 5 – New International Version (NIV)
To the Elders and the Flock
- To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder and a witness of Christ’s sufferings who also will share in the glory to be revealed:
- Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve;
- not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.
- And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.
- In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”[a]
- Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.
- Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
- Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
- Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
- And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
- To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.
- With the help of Silas,[b] whom I regard as a faithful brother, I have written to you briefly, encouraging you and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Stand fast in it.
- She who is in Babylon, chosen together with you, sends you her greetings, and so does my son Mark.
- Greet one another with a kiss of love. Peace to all of you who are in Christ.
1 Peter 5 – King James Version (KJV)
- The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:
- Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
- Neither as being lords over God’s heritage, but being examples to the flock.
- And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
- Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
- Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
- Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
- Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
- Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
- But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
- To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
- By Silvanus, a faithful brother unto you, as I suppose, I have written briefly, exhorting, and testifying that this is the true grace of God wherein ye stand.
- The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son.
- Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity. Peace be with you all that are in Christ Jesus. Amen.