1 Thessalonians 4 – New International Version (NIV)
Living to Please God
- As for other matters, brothers and sisters, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more.
- For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus.
- It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality;
- that each of you should learn to control your own body[a] in a way that is holy and honorable,
- not in passionate lust like the pagans, who do not know God;
- and that in this matter no one should wrong or take advantage of a brother or sister.[b] The Lord will punish all those who commit such sins, as we told you and warned you before.
- For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life.
- Therefore, anyone who rejects this instruction does not reject a human being but God, the very God who gives you his Holy Spirit.
- Now about your love for one another we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other.
- And in fact, you do love all of God’s family throughout Macedonia. Yet we urge you, brothers and sisters, to do so more and more,
- and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you,
- so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
Believers Who Have Died
- Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope.
- For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.
- According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.
- For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
- After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.
- Therefore encourage one another with these words.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
1 Thessalonians 4 – King James Version (KJV)
- Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.
- For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
- For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:
- That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;
- Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:
- That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.
- For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.
- He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.
- But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.
- And indeed ye do it toward all the brethren which are in all Macedonia: but we beseech you, brethren, that ye increase more and more;
- And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;
- That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.
- But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
- For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
- For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
- For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
- Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
- Wherefore comfort one another with these words.