1 Timothy 1 – New International Version (NIV)
- Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope,
- To Timothy my true son in the faith: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
Timothy Charged to Oppose False Teachers
- As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain people not to teach false doctrines any longer
- or to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. Such things promote controversial speculations rather than advancing God’s work—which is by faith.
- The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
- Some have departed from these and have turned to meaningless talk.
- They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.
- We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.
- We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers,
- for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine
- that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.
The Lord’s Grace to Paul
- I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service.
- Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.
- The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
- Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.
- But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.
- Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
The Charge to Timothy Renewed
- Timothy, my son, I am giving you this command in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by recalling them you may fight the battle well,
- holding on to faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and so have suffered shipwreck with regard to the faith.
- Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
1 Timothy 1 – King James Version (KJV)
- Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;
- Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.
- As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
- Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
- Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
- From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;
- Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.
- But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
- Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
- For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
- According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.
- And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
- Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
- And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
- This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
- Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.
- Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
- This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;
- Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:
- Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.