2 Corinthians 9 – New International Version (NIV)
- There is no need for me to write to you about this service to the Lord’s people.
- For I know your eagerness to help, and I have been boasting about it to the Macedonians, telling them that since last year you in Achaia were ready to give; and your enthusiasm has stirred most of them to action.
- But I am sending the brothers in order that our boasting about you in this matter should not prove hollow, but that you may be ready, as I said you would be.
- For if any Macedonians come with me and find you unprepared, we—not to say anything about you—would be ashamed of having been so confident.
- So I thought it necessary to urge the brothers to visit you in advance and finish the arrangements for the generous gift you had promised. Then it will be ready as a generous gift, not as one grudgingly given.
- Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.
- Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
- And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
- As it is written:
“They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor; their righteousness endures forever.”[a]
- Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness.
- You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.
- This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.
- Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else.
- And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you.
- Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!
2 Corinthians 9 – King James Version (KJV)
- For as touching the ministering to the saints, it is superfluous for me to write to you:
- For I know the forwardness of your mind, for which I boast of you to them of Macedonia, that Achaia was ready a year ago; and your zeal hath provoked very many.
- Yet have I sent the brethren, lest our boasting of you should be in vain in this behalf; that, as I said, ye may be ready:
- Lest haply if they of Macedonia come with me, and find you unprepared, we (that we say not, ye) should be ashamed in this same confident boasting.
- Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness.
- But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
- Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
- And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:
- (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.
- Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)
- eing enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.
- For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;
- Whiles by the experiment of this ministration they glorify God for your professed subjection unto the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all men;
- And by their prayer for you, which long after you for the exceeding grace of God in you.
- Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.