2 Timothy 1 – New International Version (NIV)
- Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, in keeping with the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus,
- To Timothy, my dear son: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
- I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers.
- Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy.
- I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.
Appeal for Loyalty to Paul and the Gospel
- For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
- For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
- So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God.
- He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,
- but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.
- And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher.
- That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day.
- What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus.
- Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you—guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.
Examples of Disloyalty and Loyalty
- You know that everyone in the province of Asia has deserted me, including Phygelus and Hermogenes.
- May the Lord show mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, because he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chains.
- On the contrary, when he was in Rome, he searched hard for me until he found me.
- May the Lord grant that he will find mercy from the Lord on that day! You know very well in how many ways he helped me in Ephesus.
2 Timothy 1 – King James Version (KJV)
- Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,
- To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
- I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day;
- Greatly desiring to see thee, being mindful of thy tears, that I may be filled with joy;
- When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.
- Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.
- For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
- Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;
- Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
- But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:
- Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.
- For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
- Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
- That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.
- This thou knowest, that all they which are in Asia be turned away from me; of whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes.
- The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus; for he oft refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain:
- But, when he was in Rome, he sought me out very diligently, and found me.
- The Lord grant unto him that he may find mercy of the Lord in that day: and in how many things he ministered unto me at Ephesus, thou knowest very well.