2 Timothy 3 – New International Version (NIV)
- But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days.
- People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,
- without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good,
- treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—
- having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.
- They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires,
- always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth.
- Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these teachers oppose the truth. They are men of depraved minds, who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected.
- But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.
A Final Charge to Timothy
- You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance,
- persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them.
- In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,
- while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.
- But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it,
- and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
- All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
- so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
a. 2 Timothy 3:17 Or that you, a man of God,
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
2 Timothy 3 – King James Version (KJV)
- This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
- For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
- Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
- Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
- Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
- For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
- Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
- Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
- But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as their’s also was.
- But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
- Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.
- Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
- But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
- But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
- And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
- All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
- That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.