Deuteronomy 34 – New International Version (NIV)
The Death of Moses
- Then Moses climbed Mount Nebo from the plains of Moab to the top of Pisgah, across from Jericho. There the Lord showed him the whole land—from Gilead to Dan,
- all of Naphtali, the territory of Ephraim and Manasseh, all the land of Judah as far as the Mediterranean Sea,
- the Negev and the whole region from the Valley of Jericho, the City of Palms, as far as Zoar.
- Then the Lord said to him, “This is the land I promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob when I said, ‘I will give it to your descendants.’ I have let you see it with your eyes, but you will not cross over into it.”
- And Moses the servant of the Lord died there in Moab, as the Lord had said.
- He buried him[a] in Moab, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, but to this day no one knows where his grave is.
- Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone.
- The Israelites grieved for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days, until the time of weeping and mourning was over.
- Now Joshua son of Nun was filled with the spirit[b] of wisdom because Moses had laid his hands on him. So the Israelites listened to him and did what the Lord had commanded Moses.
- Since then, no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face,
- who did all those signs and wonders the Lord sent him to do in Egypt—to Pharaoh and to all his officials and to his whole land.
- For no one has ever shown the mighty power or performed the awesome deeds that Moses did in the sight of all Israel.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Deuteronomy 34 – King James Version (KJV)
The Death of Moses
- And Moses went up from the plains of Moab unto the mountain of Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, that is over against Jericho. And the Lord shewed him all the land of Gilead, unto Dan,
- And all Naphtali, and the land of Ephraim, and Manasseh, and all the land of Judah, unto the utmost sea,
- And the south, and the plain of the valley of Jericho, the city of palm trees, unto Zoar.
- And the Lord said unto him, This is the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, saying, I will give it unto thy seed: I have caused thee to see it with thine eyes, but thou shalt not go over thither.
- So Moses the servant of the Lord died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the Lord.
- And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day.
- And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.
- And the children of Israel wept for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days: so the days of weeping and mourning for Moses were ended.
- And Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom; for Moses had laid his hands upon him: and the children of Israel hearkened unto him, and did as the Lord commanded Moses.
- And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face,
- In all the signs and the wonders, which the Lord sent him to do in the land of Egypt to Pharaoh, and to all his servants, and to all his land,
- And in all that mighty hand, and in all the great terror which Moses shewed in the sight of all Israel.