Exodus 24 – New International Version (NIV)
The Covenant Confirmed
- Then the Lord said to Moses, “Come up to the Lord, you and Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel. You are to worship at a distance,
- but Moses alone is to approach the Lord; the others must not come near. And the people may not come up with him.”
- When Moses went and told the people all the Lord’s words and laws, they responded with one voice, “Everything the Lord has said we will do.”
- Moses then wrote down everything the Lord had said. He got up early the next morning and built an altar at the foot of the mountain and set up twelve stone pillars representing the twelve tribes of Israel.
- Then he sent young Israelite men, and they offered burnt offerings and sacrificed young bulls as fellowship offerings to the Lord.
- Moses took half of the blood and put it in bowls, and the other half he splashed against the altar.
- Then he took the Book of the Covenant and read it to the people. They responded, “We will do everything the Lord has said; we will obey.”
- Moses then took the blood, sprinkled it on the people and said, “This is the blood of the covenant that the Lord has made with you in accordance with all these words.”
- Moses and Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and the seventy elders of Israel went up
- and saw the God of Israel. Under his feet was something like a pavement made of lapis lazuli, as bright blue as the sky.
- But God did not raise his hand against these leaders of the Israelites; they saw God, and they ate and drank.
- The Lord said to Moses, “Come up to me on the mountain and stay here, and I will give you the tablets of stone with the law and commandments I have written for their instruction.”
- Then Moses set out with Joshua his aide, and Moses went up on the mountain of God.
- He said to the elders, “Wait here for us until we come back to you. Aaron and Hur are with you, and anyone involved in a dispute can go to them.”
- When Moses went up on the mountain, the cloud covered it,
- and the glory of the Lord settled on Mount Sinai. For six days the cloud covered the mountain, and on the seventh day the Lord called to Moses from within the cloud.
- To the Israelites the glory of the Lord looked like a consuming fire on top of the mountain.
- Then Moses entered the cloud as he went on up the mountain. And he stayed on the mountain forty days and forty nights.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Exodus 24 – King James Version (KJV)
The Covenant Confirmed
- And he said unto Moses, Come up unto the Lord, thou, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel; and worship ye afar off.
- And Moses alone shall come near the Lord: but they shall not come nigh; neither shall the people go up with him.
- And Moses came and told the people all the words of the Lord, and all the judgments: and all the people answered with one voice, and said, All the words which the Lord hath said will we do.
- And Moses wrote all the words of the Lord, and rose up early in the morning, and builded an altar under the hill, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel.
- And he sent young men of the children of Israel, which offered burnt offerings, and sacrificed peace offerings of oxen unto the Lord.
- And Moses took half of the blood, and put it in basons; and half of the blood he sprinkled on the altar.
- And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient.
- And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the Lord hath made with you concerning all these words.
- Then went up Moses, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel:
- And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.
- And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink.
- And the Lord said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.
- And Moses rose up, and his minister Joshua: and Moses went up into the mount of God.
- And he said unto the elders, Tarry ye here for us, until we come again unto you: and, behold, Aaron and Hur are with you: if any man have any matters to do, let him come unto them.
- And Moses went up into the mount, and a cloud covered the mount.
- And the glory of the Lord abode upon mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it six days: and the seventh day he called unto Moses out of the midst of the cloud.
- And the sight of the glory of the Lord was like devouring fire on the top of the mount in the eyes of the children of Israel.
- And Moses went into the midst of the cloud, and gat him up into the mount: and Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights.