Exodus 30 – New International Version (NIV)
The Altar of Incense
- “Make an altar of acacia wood for burning incense.
- It is to be square, a cubit long and a cubit wide, and two cubits high[a]—its horns of one piece with it.
- Overlay the top and all the sides and the horns with pure gold, and make a gold molding around it.
- Make two gold rings for the altar below the molding—two on each of the opposite sides—to hold the poles used to carry it.
- Make the poles of acacia wood and overlay them with gold.
- Put the altar in front of the curtain that shields the ark of the covenant law—before the atonement cover that is over the tablets of the covenant law—where I will meet with you.
- “Aaron must burn fragrant incense on the altar every morning when he tends the lamps.
- He must burn incense again when he lights the lamps at twilight so incense will burn regularly before the Lord for the generations to come.
- Do not offer on this altar any other incense or any burnt offering or grain offering, and do not pour a drink offering on it.
- Once a year Aaron shall make atonement on its horns. This annual atonement must be made with the blood of the atoning sin offering[b] for the generations to come. It is most holy to the Lord.”
- Then the Lord said to Moses,
- “When you take a census of the Israelites to count them, each one must pay the Lord a ransom for his life at the time he is counted. Then no plague will come on them when you number them.
- Each one who crosses over to those already counted is to give a half shekel,[c] according to the sanctuary shekel, which weighs twenty gerahs. This half shekel is an offering to the Lord.
- All who cross over, those twenty years old or more, are to give an offering to the Lord.
- The rich are not to give more than a half shekel and the poor are not to give less when you make the offering to the Lord to atone for your lives.
- Receive the atonement money from the Israelites and use it for the service of the tent of meeting. It will be a memorial for the Israelites before the Lord, making atonement for your lives.”
Basin for Washing
- Then the Lord said to Moses,
- “Make a bronze basin, with its bronze stand, for washing. Place it between the tent of meeting and the altar, and put water in it.
- Aaron and his sons are to wash their hands and feet with water from it.
- Whenever they enter the tent of meeting, they shall wash with water so that they will not die. Also, when they approach the altar to minister by presenting a food offering to the Lord,
- they shall wash their hands and feet so that they will not die. This is to be a lasting ordinance for Aaron and his descendants for the generations to come.”
- Then the Lord said to Moses,
- “Take the following fine spices: 500 shekels[d] of liquid myrrh, half as much (that is, 250 shekels) of fragrant cinnamon, 250 shekels[e] of fragrant calamus,
- 500 shekels of cassia—all according to the sanctuary shekel—and a hin[f] of olive oil.
- Make these into a sacred anointing oil, a fragrant blend, the work of a perfumer. It will be the sacred anointing oil.
- Then use it to anoint the tent of meeting, the ark of the covenant law,
- the table and all its articles, the lampstand and its accessories, the altar of incense,
- the altar of burnt offering and all its utensils, and the basin with its stand.
- You shall consecrate them so they will be most holy, and whatever touches them will be holy.
- “Anoint Aaron and his sons and consecrate them so they may serve me as priests.
- Say to the Israelites, ‘This is to be my sacred anointing oil for the generations to come.
- Do not pour it on anyone else’s body and do not make any other oil using the same formula. It is sacred, and you are to consider it sacred.
- Whoever makes perfume like it and puts it on anyone other than a priest must be cut off from their people.’”
- Then the Lord said to Moses, “Take fragrant spices—gum resin, onycha and galbanum—and pure frankincense, all in equal amounts,
- and make a fragrant blend of incense, the work of a perfumer. It is to be salted and pure and sacred.
- Grind some of it to powder and place it in front of the ark of the covenant law in the tent of meeting, where I will meet with you. It shall be most holy to you.
- Do not make any incense with this formula for yourselves; consider it holy to the Lord.
- Whoever makes incense like it to enjoy its fragrance must be cut off from their people.”
a. Exodus 30:2 That is, about 1 1/2 feet long and wide and 3 feet high or about 45 centimeters long and wide and 90 centimeters high
b. Exodus 30:10 Or purification offering
c. Exodus 30:13 That is, about 1/5 ounce or about 5.8 grams; also in verse 15
d. Exodus 30:23 That is, about 12 1/2 pounds or about 5.8 kilograms; also in verse 24
e. Exodus 30:23 That is, about 6 1/4 pounds or about 2.9 kilograms
f. Exodus 30:24 That is, probably about 1 gallon or about 3.8 liters
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Exodus 30 – King James Version (KJV)
- And thou shalt make an altar to burn incense upon: of shittim wood shalt thou make it.
- A cubit shall be the length thereof, and a cubit the breadth thereof; foursquare shall it be: and two cubits shall be the height thereof: the horns thereof shall be of the same.
- And thou shalt overlay it with pure gold, the top thereof, and the sides thereof round about, and the horns thereof; and thou shalt make unto it a crown of gold round about.
- And two golden rings shalt thou make to it under the crown of it, by the two corners thereof, upon the two sides of it shalt thou make it; and they shall be for places for the staves to bear it withal.
- And thou shalt make the staves of shittim wood, and overlay them with gold.
- And thou shalt put it before the vail that is by the ark of the testimony, before the mercy seat that is over the testimony, where I will meet with thee.
- And Aaron shall burn thereon sweet incense every morning: when he dresseth the lamps, he shall burn incense upon it.
- And when Aaron lighteth the lamps at even, he shall burn incense upon it, a perpetual incense before the Lord throughout your generations.
- Ye shall offer no strange incense thereon, nor burnt sacrifice, nor meat offering; neither shall ye pour drink offering thereon.
- And Aaron shall make an atonement upon the horns of it once in a year with the blood of the sin offering of atonements: once in the year shall he make atonement upon it throughout your generations: it is most holy unto the Lord.
- And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
- When thou takest the sum of the children of Israel after their number, then shall they give every man a ransom for his soul unto the Lord, when thou numberest them; that there be no plague among them, when thou numberest them.
- This they shall give, every one that passeth among them that are numbered, half a shekel after the shekel of the sanctuary: (a shekel is twenty gerahs:) an half shekel shall be the offering of the Lord.
- Every one that passeth among them that are numbered, from twenty years old and above, shall give an offering unto the Lord.
- The rich shall not give more, and the poor shall not give less than half a shekel, when they give an offering unto the Lord, to make an atonement for your souls.
- And thou shalt take the atonement money of the children of Israel, and shalt appoint it for the service of the tabernacle of the congregation; that it may be a memorial unto the children of Israel before the Lord, to make an atonement for your souls.
- And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
- Thou shalt also make a laver of brass, and his foot also of brass, to wash withal: and thou shalt put it between the tabernacle of the congregation and the altar, and thou shalt put water therein.
- For Aaron and his sons shall wash their hands and their feet thereat:
- When they go into the tabernacle of the congregation, they shall wash with water, that they die not; or when they come near to the altar to minister, to burn offering made by fire unto the Lord:
- So they shall wash their hands and their feet, that they die not: and it shall be a statute for ever to them, even to him and to his seed throughout their generations.
- Moreover the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
- Take thou also unto thee principal spices, of pure myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon half so much, even two hundred and fifty shekels, and of sweet calamus two hundred and fifty shekels,
- And of cassia five hundred shekels, after the shekel of the sanctuary, and of oil olive an hin:
- And thou shalt make it an oil of holy ointment, an ointment compound after the art of the apothecary: it shall be an holy anointing oil.
- And thou shalt anoint the tabernacle of the congregation therewith, and the ark of the testimony,
- And the table and all his vessels, and the candlestick and his vessels, and the altar of incense,
- And the altar of burnt offering with all his vessels, and the laver and his foot.
- And thou shalt sanctify them, that they may be most holy: whatsoever toucheth them shall be holy.
- And thou shalt anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may minister unto me in the priest’s office.
- And thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel, saying, This shall be an holy anointing oil unto me throughout your generations.
- Upon man’s flesh shall it not be poured, neither shall ye make any other like it, after the composition of it: it is holy, and it shall be holy unto you.
- Whosoever compoundeth any like it, or whosoever putteth any of it upon a stranger, shall even be cut off from his people.
- And the Lord said unto Moses, Take unto thee sweet spices, stacte, and onycha, and galbanum; these sweet spices with pure frankincense: of each shall there be a like weight:
- And thou shalt make it a perfume, a confection after the art of the apothecary, tempered together, pure and holy:
- And thou shalt beat some of it very small, and put of it before the testimony in the tabernacle of the congregation, where I will meet with thee: it shall be unto you most holy.
- And as for the perfume which thou shalt make, ye shall not make to yourselves according to the composition thereof: it shall be unto thee holy for the Lord.
- Whosoever shall make like unto that, to smell thereto, shall even be cut off from his people.