Isaiah 32 – New International Version (NIV)
The Kingdom of Righteousness
- See, a king will reign in righteousness and rulers will rule with justice.
- Each one will be like a shelter from the wind and a refuge from the storm, like streams of water in the desertand the shadow of a great rock in a thirsty land.
- Then the eyes of those who see will no longer be closed, and the ears of those who hear will listen.
- The fearful heart will know and understand, and the stammering tongue will be fluent and clear.
- No longer will the fool be called noble nor the scoundrel be highly respected.
- For fools speak folly, their hearts are bent on evil: They practice ungodliness and spread error concerning the Lord; the hungry they leave empty and from the thirsty they withhold water.
- Scoundrels use wicked methods, they make up evil schemes to destroy the poor with lies, even when the plea of the needy is just.
- But the noble make noble plans, and by noble deeds they stand.
The Women of Jerusalem
- You women who are so complacent, rise up and listen to me; you daughters who feel secure, hear what I have to say!
- In little more than a year you who feel secure will tremble; the grape harvest will fail, and the harvest of fruit will not come.
- Tremble, you complacent women; shudder, you daughters who feel secure! Strip off your fine clothes and wrap yourselves in rags.
- Beat your breasts for the pleasant fields, for the fruitful vines
- and for the land of my people, a land overgrown with thorns and briers—yes, mourn for all houses of merriment and for this city of revelry.
- The fortress will be abandoned, the noisy city deserted; citadel and watchtower will become a wasteland forever, the delight of donkeys, a pasture for flocks,
- till the Spirit is poured on us from on high, and the desert becomes a fertile field, and the fertile field seems like a forest.
- The Lord’s justice will dwell in the desert, his righteousness live in the fertile field.
- The fruit of that righteousness will be peace; its effect will be quietness and confidence forever.
- My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest.
- Though hail flattens the forest and the city is leveled completely,
- how blessed you will be, sowing your seed by every stream, and letting your cattle and donkeys range free.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Isaiah 32 – King James Version (KJV)
- Behold, a king shall reign in righteousness, and princes shall rule in judgment.
- And a man shall be as an hiding place from the wind, and a covert from the tempest; as rivers of water in a dry place, as the shadow of a great rock in a weary land.
- And the eyes of them that see shall not be dim, and the ears of them that hear shall hearken.
- The heart also of the rash shall understand knowledge, and the tongue of the stammerers shall be ready to speak plainly.
- The vile person shall be no more called liberal, nor the churl said to be bountiful.
- For the vile person will speak villany, and his heart will work iniquity, to practise hypocrisy, and to utter error against the LORD, to make empty the soul of the hungry, and he will cause the drink of the thirsty to fail.
- The instruments also of the churl are evil: he deviseth wicked devices to destroy the poor with lying words, even when the needy speaketh right.
- But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand.
Women of Jerusalem
- Rise up, ye women that are at ease; hear my voice, ye careless daughters; give ear unto my speech.
- Many days and years shall ye be troubled, ye careless women: for the vintage shall fail, the gathering shall not come.
- Tremble, ye women that are at ease; be troubled, ye careless ones: strip you, and make you bare, and gird sackcloth upon your loins.
- They shall lament for the teats, for the pleasant fields, for the fruitful vine.
- Upon the land of my people shall come up thorns and briers; yea, upon all the houses of joy in the joyous city:
- because the palaces shall be forsaken; the multitude of the city shall be left; the forts and towers shall be for dens for ever, a joy of wild asses, a pasture of flocks;
- until the spirit be poured upon us from on high, and the wilderness be a fruitful field, and the fruitful field be counted for a forest.
- Then judgment shall dwell in the wilderness, and righteousness remain in the fruitful field.
- And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
- And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places;
- when it shall hail, coming down on the forest; and the city shall be low in a low place.
- Blessed are ye that sow beside all waters, that send forth thither the feet of the ox and the ass.