John 14 – New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Comforts His Disciples
- “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me.
- My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?
- And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
- You know the way to the place where I am going.”
Jesus the Way to the Father
- Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
- Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
- If you really know me, you will know[b] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”
- Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”
- Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
- Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.
- Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.
- Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.
- And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
- You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit
- “If you love me, keep my commands.
- And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—
- the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[c] in you.
- I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
- Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.
- On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.
- Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”
- Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?”
- Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.
- Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.
- “All this I have spoken while still with you.
- But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
- Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
- “You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.
- I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe.
- I will not say much more to you, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold over me,
- but he comes so that the world may learn that I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me. “Come now; let us leave.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
John 14 – King James Version (KJV)
- Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
- In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
- And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
- And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
- Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
- Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
- If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
- Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
- Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?
- Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
- Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake.
- Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
- And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
- If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
- If ye love me, keep my commandments.
- And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
- Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
- I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
- Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
- At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
- He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
- Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
- Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
- He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me.
- These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
- But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
- Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
- Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
- And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.
- Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.
- But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.