John 15 – New International Version (NIV)
The Vine and the Branches
- “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.
- He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes [a] so that it will be even more fruitful.
- You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.
- Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
- “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
- If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.
- If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
- This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
- “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.
- If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.
- I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
- My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
- Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
- You are my friends if you do what I command.
- I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.
- You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.
- This is my command: Love each other.
The World Hates the Disciples
- “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.
- If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.
- Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ [b] If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.
- They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me.
- If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin.
- Whoever hates me hates my Father as well.
- If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father.
- But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’ [c]
The Work of the Holy Spirit
- “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me.
- And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
John 15 – King James Version (KJV)
- I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
- Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
- Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
- Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
- I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
- If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
- If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
- Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
- As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
- If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.
- These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
- This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
- Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
- Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
- Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
- Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
- These things I command you, that ye love one another.
- If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
- If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
- Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
- But all these things will they do unto you for my name’s sake, because they know not him that sent me.
- If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin.
- He that hateth me hateth my Father also.
- If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.
- But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.
- But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
- And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.