John 17 – New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Prays to Be Glorified
- After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you.
- For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him.
- Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
- I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do.
- And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.
Jesus Prays for His Disciples
- “I have revealed you[a] to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word.
- Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you.
- For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me
- pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours.
- All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them.
- I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of[b] your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one.
- While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by[c] that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.
- “I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.
- I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world.
- My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.
- They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.
- Sanctify them by[d] the truth; your word is truth.
- As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.
- For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.
Jesus Prays for All Believers
- “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,
- that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
- I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one—
- I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
- “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.
- “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me.
- I have made you[e] known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
John 17 – King James Version (KJV)
- These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:
- As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
- And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
- I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.
- And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
- I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.
- Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.
- For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.
- I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.
- And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.
- And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
- While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
- And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.
- I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
- I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
- They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
- Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
- As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
- And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
- Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
- That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
- And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
- I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
- Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.
- O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.
- And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.