Joshua 12 – New International Version (NIV)
List of Defeated Kings
- These are the kings of the land whom the Israelites had defeated and whose territory they took over east of the Jordan, from the Arnon Gorge to Mount Hermon, including all the eastern side of the Arabah:
- Sihon king of the Amorites, who reigned in Heshbon. He ruled from Aroer on the rim of the Arnon Gorge—from the middle of the gorge—to the Jabbok River, which is the border of the Ammonites. This included half of Gilead.
- He also ruled over the eastern Arabah from the Sea of Galilee[a] to the Sea of the Arabah (that is, the Dead Sea), to Beth Jeshimoth, and then southward below the slopes of Pisgah.
- And the territory of Og king of Bashan, one of the last of the Rephaites, who reigned in Ashtaroth and Edrei.
- He ruled over Mount Hermon, Salekah, all of Bashan to the border of the people of Geshur and Maakah, and half of Gilead to the border of Sihon king of Heshbon.
- Moses, the servant of the Lord, and the Israelites conquered them. And Moses the servant of the Lord gave their land to the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh to be their possession.
- Here is a list of the kings of the land that Joshua and the Israelites conquered on the west side of the Jordan, from Baal Gad in the Valley of Lebanon to Mount Halak, which rises toward Seir. Joshua gave their lands as an inheritance to the tribes of Israel according to their tribal divisions.
- The lands included the hill country, the western foothills, the Arabah, the mountain slopes, the wilderness and the Negev. These were the lands of the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. These were the kings:
- the king of Jericho one the king of Ai (near Bethel) one
- the king of Jerusalem one the king of Hebron one
- the king of Jarmuth one the king of Lachish one
- the king of Eglon one the king of Gezer one
- the king of Debir one the king of Geder one
- the king of Hormah one the king of Arad one
- the king of Libnah one the king of Adullam one
- the king of Makkedah one the king of Bethel one
- the king of Tappuah one the king of Hepher one
- the king of Aphek one the king of Lasharon one
- the king of Madon one the king of Hazor one
- the king of Shimron Meron onethe king of Akshaph one
- the king of Taanach one the king of Megiddo one
- the king of Kedesh one the king of Jokneam in Carmel one
- the king of Dor (in Naphoth Dor) one the king of Goyim in Gilgal one
- the king of Tirzah one thirty-one kings in all.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Joshua 12 – King James Version (KJV)
- Now these are the kings of the land, which the children of Israel smote, and possessed their land on the other side Jordan toward the rising of the sun, from the river Arnon unto mount Hermon, and all the plain on the east:
- Sihon king of the Amorites, who dwelt in Heshbon, and ruled from Aroer, which is upon the bank of the river Arnon, and from the middle of the river, and from half Gilead, even unto the river Jabbok, which is the border of the children of Ammon;
- And from the plain to the sea of Chinneroth on the east, and unto the sea of the plain, even the salt sea on the east, the way to Bethjeshimoth; and from the south, under Ashdothpisgah:
- And the coast of Og king of Bashan, which was of the remnant of the giants, that dwelt at Ashtaroth and at Edrei,
- And reigned in mount Hermon, and in Salcah, and in all Bashan, unto the border of the Geshurites and the Maachathites, and half Gilead, the border of Sihon king of Heshbon.
- Them did Moses the servant of the Lord and the children of Israel smite: and Moses the servant of the Lord gave it for a possession unto the Reubenites, and the Gadites, and the half tribe of Manasseh.
- And these are the kings of the country which Joshua and the children of Israel smote on this side Jordan on the west, from Baalgad in the valley of Lebanon even unto the mount Halak, that goeth up to Seir; which Joshua gave unto the tribes of Israel for a possession according to their divisions;
- In the mountains, and in the valleys, and in the plains, and in the springs, and in the wilderness, and in the south country; the Hittites, the Amorites, and the Canaanites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites:
- The king of Jericho, one; the king of Ai, which is beside Bethel, one;
- The king of Jerusalem, one; the king of Hebron, one;
- The king of Jarmuth, one; the king of Lachish, one;
- The king of Eglon, one; the king of Gezer, one;
- The king of Debir, one; the king of Geder, one;
- The king of Hormah, one; the king of Arad, one;
- The king of Libnah, one; the king of Adullam, one;
- The king of Makkedah, one; the king of Bethel, one;
- The king of Tappuah, one; the king of Hepher, one;
- The king of Aphek, one; the king of Lasharon, one;
- The king of Madon, one; the king of Hazor, one;
- The king of Shimronmeron, one; the king of Achshaph, one;
- The king of Taanach, one; the king of Megiddo, one;
- The king of Kedesh, one; the king of Jokneam of Carmel, one;
- The king of Dor in the coast of Dor, one; the king of the nations of Gilgal, one;
- The king of Tirzah, one: all the kings thirty and one.