Joshua 13 – New International Version (NIV)
Land Still to Be Taken
- When Joshua had grown old, the Lord said to him, “You are now very old, and there are still very large areas of land to be taken over.
- “This is the land that remains: all the regions of the Philistines and Geshurites,
- from the Shihor River on the east of Egypt to the territory of Ekron on the north, all of it counted as Canaanite though held by the five Philistine rulers in Gaza, Ashdod, Ashkelon, Gath and Ekron; the territory of the Avvites
- on the south; all the land of the Canaanites, from Arah of the Sidonians as far as Aphek and the border of the Amorites;
- the area of Byblos; and all Lebanon to the east, from Baal Gad below Mount Hermon to Lebo Hamath.
- “As for all the inhabitants of the mountain regions from Lebanon to Misrephoth Maim, that is, all the Sidonians, I myself will drive them out before the Israelites. Be sure to allocate this land to Israel for an inheritance, as I have instructed you,
- and divide it as an inheritance among the nine tribes and half of the tribe of Manasseh.”
Division of the Land East of the Jordan
- The other half of Manasseh,[a] the Reubenites and the Gadites had received the inheritance that Moses had given them east of the Jordan, as he, the servant of the Lord, had assigned it to them.
- It extended from Aroer on the rim of the Arnon Gorge, and from the town in the middle of the gorge, and included the whole plateau of Medeba as far as Dibon,
- and all the towns of Sihon king of the Amorites, who ruled in Heshbon, out to the border of the Ammonites.
- It also included Gilead, the territory of the people of Geshur and Maakah, all of Mount Hermon and all Bashan as far as Salekah—
- that is, the whole kingdom of Og in Bashan, who had reigned in Ashtaroth and Edrei. (He was the last of the Rephaites.) Moses had defeated them and taken over their land.
- But the Israelites did not drive out the people of Geshur and Maakah, so they continue to live among the Israelites to this day.
- But to the tribe of Levi he gave no inheritance, since the food offerings presented to the Lord, the God of Israel, are their inheritance, as he promised them.
- This is what Moses had given to the tribe of Reuben, according to its clans:
- The territory from Aroer on the rim of the Arnon Gorge, and from the town in the middle of the gorge, and the whole plateau past Medeba
- to Heshbon and all its towns on the plateau, including Dibon, Bamoth Baal, Beth Baal Meon,
- Jahaz, Kedemoth, Mephaath,
- Kiriathaim, Sibmah, Zereth Shahar on the hill in the valley,
- Beth Peor, the slopes of Pisgah, and Beth Jeshimoth—
- all the towns on the plateau and the entire realm of Sihon king of the Amorites, who ruled at Heshbon. Moses had defeated him and the Midianite chiefs, Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur and Reba—princes allied with Sihon—who lived in that country.
- In addition to those slain in battle, the Israelites had put to the sword Balaam son of Beor, who practiced divination.
- The boundary of the Reubenites was the bank of the Jordan. These towns and their villages were the inheritance of the Reubenites, according to their clans.
- This is what Moses had given to the tribe of Gad, according to its clans:
- The territory of Jazer, all the towns of Gilead and half the Ammonite country as far as Aroer, near Rabbah;
- and from Heshbon to Ramath Mizpah and Betonim, and from Mahanaim to the territory of Debir;
- and in the valley, Beth Haram, Beth Nimrah, Sukkoth and Zaphon with the rest of the realm of Sihon king of Heshbon (the east side of the Jordan, the territory up to the end of the Sea of Galilee[b]).
- These towns and their villages were the inheritance of the Gadites, according to their clans.
- This is what Moses had given to the half-tribe of Manasseh, that is, to half the family of the descendants of Manasseh, according to its clans:
- The territory extending from Mahanaim and including all of Bashan, the entire realm of Og king of Bashan—all the settlements of Jair in Bashan, sixty towns,
- half of Gilead, and Ashtaroth and Edrei (the royal cities of Og in Bashan). This was for the descendants of Makir son of Manasseh—for half of the sons of Makir, according to their clans.
- This is the inheritance Moses had given when he was in the plains of Moab across the Jordan east of Jericho.
- But to the tribe of Levi, Moses had given no inheritance; the Lord, the God of Israel, is their inheritance, as he promised them.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Joshua 13 – King James Version (KJV)
Division of the Land
- Now Joshua was old and stricken in years; and the Lord said unto him, Thou art old and stricken in years, and there remaineth yet very much land to be possessed.
- This is the land that yet remaineth: all the borders of the Philistines, and all Geshuri,
- From Sihor, which is before Egypt, even unto the borders of Ekron northward, which is counted to the Canaanite: five lords of the Philistines; the Gazathites, and the Ashdothites, the Eshkalonites, the Gittites, and the Ekronites; also the Avites:
- From the south, all the land of the Canaanites, and Mearah that is beside the Sidonians unto Aphek, to the borders of the Amorites:
- And the land of the Giblites, and all Lebanon, toward the sunrising, from Baalgad under mount Hermon unto the entering into Hamath.
- All the inhabitants of the hill country from Lebanon unto Misrephothmaim, and all the Sidonians, them will I drive out from before the children of Israel: only divide thou it by lot unto the Israelites for an inheritance, as I have commanded thee.
- Now therefore divide this land for an inheritance unto the nine tribes, and the half tribe of Manasseh,
- With whom the Reubenites and the Gadites have received their inheritance, which Moses gave them, beyond Jordan eastward, even as Moses the servant of the Lord gave them;
- From Aroer, that is upon the bank of the river Arnon, and the city that is in the midst of the river, and all the plain of Medeba unto Dibon;
- And all the cities of Sihon king of the Amorites, which reigned in Heshbon, unto the border of the children of Ammon;
- And Gilead, and the border of the Geshurites and Maachathites, and all mount Hermon, and all Bashan unto Salcah;
- All the kingdom of Og in Bashan, which reigned in Ashtaroth and in Edrei, who remained of the remnant of the giants: for these did Moses smite, and cast them out.
- Nevertheless the children of Israel expelled not the Geshurites, nor the Maachathites: but the Geshurites and the Maachathites dwell among the Israelites until this day.
- Only unto the tribes of Levi he gave none inheritance; the sacrifices of the Lord God of Israel made by fire are their inheritance, as he said unto them.
In the East
- And Moses gave unto the tribe of the children of Reuben inheritance according to their families.
- And their coast was from Aroer, that is on the bank of the river Arnon, and the city that is in the midst of the river, and all the plain by Medeba;
- Heshbon, and all her cities that are in the plain; Dibon, and Bamothbaal, and Bethbaalmeon,
- And Jahaza, and Kedemoth, and Mephaath,
- And Kirjathaim, and Sibmah, and Zarethshahar in the mount of the valley,
- And Bethpeor, and Ashdothpisgah, and Bethjeshimoth,
- And all the cities of the plain, and all the kingdom of Sihon king of the Amorites, which reigned in Heshbon, whom Moses smote with the princes of Midian, Evi, and Rekem, and Zur, and Hur, and Reba, which were dukes of Sihon, dwelling in the country.
- Balaam also the son of Beor, the soothsayer, did the children of Israel slay with the sword among them that were slain by them.
- And the border of the children of Reuben was Jordan, and the border thereof. This was the inheritance of the children of Reuben after their families, the cities and the villages thereof.
- And Moses gave inheritance unto the tribe of Gad, even unto the children of Gad according to their families.
- And their coast was Jazer, and all the cities of Gilead, and half the land of the children of Ammon, unto Aroer that is before Rabbah;
- And from Heshbon unto Ramathmizpeh, and Betonim; and from Mahanaim unto the border of Debir;
- And in the valley, Betharam, and Bethnimrah, and Succoth, and Zaphon, the rest of the kingdom of Sihon king of Heshbon, Jordan and his border, even unto the edge of the sea of Chinnereth on the other side Jordan eastward.
- This is the inheritance of the children of Gad after their families, the cities, and their villages.
- And Moses gave inheritance unto the half tribe of Manasseh: and this was the possession of the half tribe of the children of Manasseh by their families.
- And their coast was from Mahanaim, all Bashan, all the kingdom of Og king of Bashan, and all the towns of Jair, which are in Bashan, threescore cities:
- And half Gilead, and Ashtaroth, and Edrei, cities of the kingdom of Og in Bashan, were pertaining unto the children of Machir the son of Manasseh, even to the one half of the children of Machir by their families.
- These are the countries which Moses did distribute for inheritance in the plains of Moab, on the other side Jordan, by Jericho, eastward.
- But unto the tribe of Levi Moses gave not any inheritance: the Lord God of Israel was their inheritance, as he said unto them.