Joshua 16 – New International Version (NIV)
Allotment for Ephraim and Manasseh
- The allotment for Joseph began at the Jordan, east of the springs of Jericho, and went up from there through the desert into the hill country of Bethel.
- It went on from Bethel (that is, Luz),[a] crossed over to the territory of the Arkites in Ataroth,
- descended westward to the territory of the Japhletites as far as the region of Lower Beth Horon and on to Gezer, ending at the Mediterranean Sea.
- So Manasseh and Ephraim, the descendants of Joseph, received their inheritance.
- This was the territory of Ephraim, according to its clans: The boundary of their inheritance went from Ataroth Addar in the east to Upper Beth Horon
- and continued to the Mediterranean Sea. From Mikmethath on the north it curved eastward to Taanath Shiloh, passing by it to Janoah on the east.
- Then it went down from Janoah to Ataroth and Naarah, touched Jericho and came out at the Jordan.
- From Tappuah the border went west to the Kanah Ravine and ended at the Mediterranean Sea. This was the inheritance of the tribe of the Ephraimites, according to its clans.
- It also included all the towns and their villages that were set aside for the Ephraimites within the inheritance of the Manassites.
- They did not dislodge the Canaanites living in Gezer; to this day the Canaanites live among the people of Ephraim but are required to do forced labor.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Joshua 16 – King James Version (KJV)
- And the lot of the children of Joseph fell from Jordan by Jericho, unto the water of Jericho on the east, to the wilderness that goeth up from Jericho throughout mount Bethel,
- And goeth out from Bethel to Luz, and passeth along unto the borders of Archi to Ataroth,
- And goeth down westward to the coast of Japhleti, unto the coast of Bethhoron the nether, and to Gezer; and the goings out thereof are at the sea.
- So the children of Joseph, Manasseh and Ephraim, took their inheritance.
- And the border of the children of Ephraim according to their families was thus: even the border of their inheritance on the east side was Atarothaddar, unto Bethhoron the upper;
- And the border went out toward the sea to Michmethah on the north side; and the border went about eastward unto Taanathshiloh, and passed by it on the east to Janohah;
- And it went down from Janohah to Ataroth, and to Naarath, and came to Jericho, and went out at Jordan.
- The border went out from Tappuah westward unto the river Kanah; and the goings out thereof were at the sea. This is the inheritance of the tribe of the children of Ephraim by their families.
- And the separate cities for the children of Ephraim were among the inheritance of the children of Manasseh, all the cities with their villages.
- And they drave not out the Canaanites that dwelt in Gezer: but the Canaanites dwell among the Ephraimites unto this day, and serve under tribute.