Mark 16 – New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Has Risen
- When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus’ body.
- Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb
- and they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?”
- But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away.
- As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed.
- “Don’t be alarmed,” he said. “You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him.
- But go, tell his disciples and Peter, ‘He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.’”
- Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid.[a]
[The earliest manuscripts and some other ancient witnesses do not have verses 9–20.]
- When Jesus rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had driven seven demons.
- She went and told those who had been with him and who were mourning and weeping.
- When they heard that Jesus was alive and that she had seen him, they did not believe it.
- Afterward Jesus appeared in a different form to two of them while they were walking in the country.
- These returned and reported it to the rest; but they did not believe them either.
- Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen.
- He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.
- Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
- And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;
- they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”
- After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God.
- Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it.
a. Mark 16:8 Some manuscripts have the following ending between verses 8 and 9, and one manuscript has it after verse 8 (omitting verses 9-20): Then they quickly reported all these instructions to those around Peter. After this, Jesus himself also sent out through them from east to west the sacred and imperishable proclamation of eternal salvation. Amen.
Mark 16 – King James Version (KJV)
- And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
- And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
- And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?
- And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great.
- And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
- And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.
- But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you.
- And they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they any thing to any man; for they were afraid.
- Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
- And she went and told them that had been with him, as they mourned and wept.
- And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not.
- After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.
- And they went and told it unto the residue: neither believed they them.
- Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.
- And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
- He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
- And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
- They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
- So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
- And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.