Matthew 8 – New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Heals a Man With Leprosy
- When Jesus came down from the mountainside, large crowds followed him.
- A man with leprosy[a] came and knelt before him and said, “Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean.”
- Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” Immediately he was cleansed of his leprosy.
- Then Jesus said to him, “See that you don’t tell anyone. But go, show yourself to the priest and offer the gift Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.”
The Faith of the Centurion
- When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help.
- “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.”
- Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?”
- The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed.
- For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
- When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.
- I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven.
- But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
- Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.
- When Jesus came into Peter’s house, he saw Peter’s mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever.
- He touched her hand and the fever left her, and she got up and began to wait on him.
- When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick.
- This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah: “He took up our infirmities and bore our diseases.”[b]
The Cost of Following Jesus
- When Jesus saw the crowd around him, he gave orders to cross to the other side of the lake.
- Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.”
- Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”
- Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”
- But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”
- Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him.
- Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping.
- The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”
- He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
- The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”
Jesus Restores Two Demon-Possessed Men
- When he arrived at the other side in the region of the Gadarenes,[c] two demon-possessed men coming from the tombs met him. They were so violent that no one could pass that way.
- “What do you want with us, Son of God?” they shouted. “Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?”
- Some distance from them a large herd of pigs was feeding.
- The demons begged Jesus, “If you drive us out, send us into the herd of pigs.”
- He said to them, “Go!” So they came out and went into the pigs, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and died in the water.
- Those tending the pigs ran off, went into the town and reported all this, including what had happened to the demon-possessed men.
- Then the whole town went out to meet Jesus. And when they saw him, they pleaded with him to leave their region.
a. Matthew 8:2
The Greek word traditionally translated leprosy was used for various diseases affecting the skin.
b. Matthew 8:17
Isaiah 53:4 (see Septuagint)
c. Matthew 8:28
Some manuscripts Gergesenes; other manuscripts Gerasenes
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Matthew 8 – King James Version (KJV)
- When he was come down from the mountain, great multitudes followed him.
- And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.
- And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.
- And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.
- And when Jesus was entered into Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him,
- And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented.
- And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him.
- The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed.
- For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.
- When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.
- And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
- But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
- And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.
- And when Jesus was come into Peter’s house, he saw his wife’s mother laid, and sick of a fever.
- And he touched her hand, and the fever left her: and she arose, and ministered unto them.
- When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:
- that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.
- Now when Jesus saw great multitudes about him, he gave commandment to depart unto the other side.
- And a certain scribe came, and said unto him, Master, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.
- And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
- And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
- But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.
- And when he was entered into a ship, his disciples followed him.
- And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep.
- And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish.
- And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.
- But the men marvelled, saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him!
- And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way.
- And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?
- And there was a good way off from them an herd of many swine feeding.
- So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine.
- And he said unto them, Go. And when they were come out, they went into the herd of swine: and, behold, the whole herd of swine ran violently down a steep place into the sea, and perished in the waters.
- And they that kept them fled, and went their ways into the city, and told every thing, and what was befallen to the possessed of the devils.
- And, behold, the whole city came out to meet Jesus: and when they saw him, they besought him that he would depart out of their coasts.