Numbers 35 – New International Version (NIV)
Towns for the Levites
- On the plains of Moab by the Jordan across from Jericho, the Lord said to Moses,
- “Command the Israelites to give the Levites towns to live in from the inheritance the Israelites will possess. And give them pasturelands around the towns.
- Then they will have towns to live in and pasturelands for the cattle they own and all their other animals.
- “The pasturelands around the towns that you give the Levites will extend a thousand cubits[a] from the town wall.
- Outside the town, measure two thousand cubits[b] on the east side, two thousand on the south side, two thousand on the west and two thousand on the north, with the town in the center. They will have this area as pastureland for the towns.
Cities of Refuge
- “Six of the towns you give the Levites will be cities of refuge, to which a person who has killed someone may flee. In addition, give them forty-two other towns.
- In all you must give the Levites forty-eight towns, together with their pasturelands.
- The towns you give the Levites from the land the Israelites possess are to be given in proportion to the inheritance of each tribe: Take many towns from a tribe that has many, but few from one that has few.”
- Then the Lord said to Moses:
- “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘When you cross the Jordan into Canaan,
- select some towns to be your cities of refuge, to which a person who has killed someone accidentally may flee.
- They will be places of refuge from the avenger, so that anyone accused of murder may not die before they stand trial before the assembly.
- These six towns you give will be your cities of refuge.
- Give three on this side of the Jordan and three in Canaan as cities of refuge.
- These six towns will be a place of refuge for Israelites and for foreigners residing among them, so that anyone who has killed another accidentally can flee there.
- “‘If anyone strikes someone a fatal blow with an iron object, that person is a murderer; the murderer is to be put to death.
- Or if anyone is holding a stone and strikes someone a fatal blow with it, that person is a murderer; the murderer is to be put to death.
- Or if anyone is holding a wooden object and strikes someone a fatal blow with it, that person is a murderer; the murderer is to be put to death.
- The avenger of blood shall put the murderer to death; when the avenger comes upon the murderer, the avenger shall put the murderer to death.
- If anyone with malice aforethought shoves another or throws something at them intentionally so that they die
- or if out of enmity one person hits another with their fist so that the other dies, that person is to be put to death; that person is a murderer. The avenger of blood shall put the murderer to death when they meet.
- “‘But if without enmity someone suddenly pushes another or throws something at them unintentionally
- or, without seeing them, drops on them a stone heavy enough to kill them, and they die, then since that other person was not an enemy and no harm was intended,
- the assembly must judge between the accused and the avenger of blood according to these regulations.
- The assembly must protect the one accused of murder from the avenger of blood and send the accused back to the city of refuge to which they fled. The accused must stay there until the death of the high priest, who was anointed with the holy oil.
- “‘But if the accused ever goes outside the limits of the city of refuge to which they fled
- and the avenger of blood finds them outside the city, the avenger of blood may kill the accused without being guilty of murder.
- The accused must stay in the city of refuge until the death of the high priest; only after the death of the high priest may they return to their own property.
- “‘This is to have the force of law for you throughout the generations to come, wherever you live.
- “‘Anyone who kills a person is to be put to death as a murderer only on the testimony of witnesses. But no one is to be put to death on the testimony of only one witness.
- “‘Do not accept a ransom for the life of a murderer, who deserves to die. They are to be put to death.
- “‘Do not accept a ransom for anyone who has fled to a city of refuge and so allow them to go back and live on their own land before the death of the high priest.
- “‘Do not pollute the land where you are. Bloodshed pollutes the land, and atonement cannot be made for the land on which blood has been shed, except by the blood of the one who shed it.
- Do not defile the land where you live and where I dwell, for I, the Lord, dwell among the Israelites.’”
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Numbers 35 – King James Version (KJV)
Cities for Levites
- And the Lord spake unto Moses in the plains of Moab by Jordan near Jericho, saying,
- Command the children of Israel, that they give unto the Levites of the inheritance of their possession cities to dwell in; and ye shall give also unto the Levites suburbs for the cities round about them.
- And the cities shall they have to dwell in; and the suburbs of them shall be for their cattle, and for their goods, and for all their beasts.
- And the suburbs of the cities, which ye shall give unto the Levites, shall reach from the wall of the city and outward a thousand cubits round about.
- And ye shall measure from without the city on the east side two thousand cubits, and on the south side two thousand cubits, and on the west side two thousand cubits, and on the north side two thousand cubits; and the city shall be in the midst: this shall be to them the suburbs of the cities.
- And among the cities which ye shall give unto the Levites there shall be six cities for refuge, which ye shall appoint for the manslayer, that he may flee thither: and to them ye shall add forty and two cities.
- So all the cities which ye shall give to the Levites shall be forty and eight cities: them shall ye give with their suburbs.
- And the cities which ye shall give shall be of the possession of the children of Israel: from them that have many ye shall give many; but from them that have few ye shall give few: every one shall give of his cities unto the Levites according to his inheritance which he inheriteth.
Cities of Refuge
- And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
- Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come over Jordan into the land of Canaan;
- Then ye shall appoint you cities to be cities of refuge for you; that the slayer may flee thither, which killeth any person at unawares.
- And they shall be unto you cities for refuge from the avenger; that the manslayer die not, until he stand before the congregation in judgment.
- And of these cities which ye shall give six cities shall ye have for refuge.
- Ye shall give three cities on this side Jordan, and three cities shall ye give in the land of Canaan, which shall be cities of refuge.
- These six cities shall be a refuge, both for the children of Israel, and for the stranger, and for the sojourner among them: that every one that killeth any person unawares may flee thither.
- And if he smite him with an instrument of iron, so that he die, he is a murderer: the murderer shall surely be put to death.
- And if he smite him with throwing a stone, wherewith he may die, and he die, he is a murderer: the murderer shall surely be put to death.
- Or if he smite him with an hand weapon of wood, wherewith he may die, and he die, he is a murderer: the murderer shall surely be put to death.
- The revenger of blood himself shall slay the murderer: when he meeteth him, he shall slay him.
- But if he thrust him of hatred, or hurl at him by laying of wait, that he die;
- Or in enmity smite him with his hand, that he die: he that smote him shall surely be put to death; for he is a murderer: the revenger of blood shall slay the murderer, when he meeteth him.
- But if he thrust him suddenly without enmity, or have cast upon him any thing without laying of wait,
- Or with any stone, wherewith a man may die, seeing him not, and cast it upon him, that he die, and was not his enemy, neither sought his harm:
- Then the congregation shall judge between the slayer and the revenger of blood according to these judgments:
- And the congregation shall deliver the slayer out of the hand of the revenger of blood, and the congregation shall restore him to the city of his refuge, whither he was fled: and he shall abide in it unto the death of the high priest, which was anointed with the holy oil.
- But if the slayer shall at any time come without the border of the city of his refuge, whither he was fled;
- And the revenger of blood find him without the borders of the city of his refuge, and the revenger of blood kill the slayer; he shall not be guilty of blood:
- Because he should have remained in the city of his refuge until the death of the high priest: but after the death of the high priest the slayer shall return into the land of his possession.
- So these things shall be for a statute of judgment unto you throughout your generations in all your dwellings.
- Whoso killeth any person, the murderer shall be put to death by the mouth of witnesses: but one witness shall not testify against any person to cause him to die.
- Moreover ye shall take no satisfaction for the life of a murderer, which is guilty of death: but he shall be surely put to death.
- And ye shall take no satisfaction for him that is fled to the city of his refuge, that he should come again to dwell in the land, until the death of the priest.
- So ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: for blood it defileth the land: and the land cannot be cleansed of the blood that is shed therein, but by the blood of him that shed it.
- Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit, wherein I dwell: for I the Lord dwell among the children of Israel.