Psalm 109 – New International Version (NIV)
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.
- My God, whom I praise, do not remain silent,
- for people who are wicked and deceitful have opened their mouths against me; they have spoken against me with lying tongues.
- With words of hatred they surround me; they attack me without cause.
- In return for my friendship they accuse me, but I am a man of prayer.
- They repay me evil for good, and hatred for my friendship.
- Appoint someone evil to oppose my enemy; let an accuser stand at his right hand.
- When he is tried, let him be found guilty, and may his prayers condemn him.
- May his days be few; may another take his place of leadership.
- May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow.
- May his children be wandering beggars; may they be driven [a] from their ruined homes.
- May a creditor seize all he has; may strangers plunder the fruits of his labor.
- May no one extend kindness to him or take pity on his fatherless children.
- May his descendants be cut off, their names blotted out from the next generation.
- May the iniquity of his fathers be remembered before the Lord; may the sin of his mother never be blotted out.
- May their sins always remain before the Lord, that he may blot out their name from the earth.
- For he never thought of doing a kindness, but hounded to death the poor and the needy and the brokenhearted.
- He loved to pronounce a curse— may it come back on him. He found no pleasure in blessing— may it be far from him.
- He wore cursing as his garment; it entered into his body like water, into his bones like oil.
- May it be like a cloak wrapped about him, like a belt tied forever around him.
- May this be the Lord’s payment to my accusers, to those who speak evil of me.
- But you, Sovereign Lord, help me for your name’s sake; out of the goodness of your love, deliver me.
- For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me.
- I fade away like an evening shadow; I am shaken off like a locust.
- My knees give way from fasting; my body is thin and gaunt.
- I am an object of scorn to my accusers; when they see me, they shake their heads.
- Help me, Lord my God; save me according to your unfailing love.
- Let them know that it is your hand, that you, Lord, have done it.
- While they curse, may you bless; may those who attack me be put to shame, but may your servant rejoice.
- May my accusers be clothed with disgrace and wrapped in shame as in a cloak.
- With my mouth I will greatly extol the Lord; in the great throng of worshipers I will praise him.
- For he stands at the right hand of the needy, to save their lives from those who would condemn them.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Psalm 109 – King James Version (KJV)
To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.
- Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise;
- For the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me: They have spoken against me with a lying tongue.
- They compassed me about also with words of hatred; And fought against me without a cause.
- For my love they are my adversaries: But I give myself unto prayer.
- And they have rewarded me evil for good, And hatred for my love.
- Set thou a wicked man over him: And let Satan stand at his right hand.
- When he shall be judged, let him be condemned: And let his prayer become sin.
- Let his days be few; And let another take his office.
- Let his children be fatherless, And his wife a widow.
- Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg: Let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.
- Let the extortioner catch all that he hath; And let the strangers spoil his labour.
- Let there be none to extend mercy unto him: Neither let there be any to favour his fatherless children.
- Let his posterity be cut off; And in the generation following let their name be blotted out.
- Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the LORD; And let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
- Let them be before the LORD continually, That he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.
- Because that he remembered not to shew mercy, But persecuted the poor and needy man, That he might even slay the broken in heart.
- As he loved cursing, so let it come unto him: As he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him.
- As he clothed himself with cursing like as with his garment, So let it come into his bowels like water, and like oil into his bones.
- Let it be unto him as the garment which covereth him, And for a girdle wherewith he is girded continually.
- Let this be the reward of mine adversaries from the LORD, And of them that speak evil against my soul.
- But do thou for me, O GOD the Lord, for thy name’s sake: Because thy mercy is good, deliver thou me.
- For I am poor and needy, And my heart is wounded within me.
- I am gone like the shadow when it declineth: I am tossed up and down as the locust.
- My knees are weak through fasting; And my flesh faileth of fatness.
- I became also a reproach unto them: When they looked upon me they shaked their heads.
- Help me, O LORD my God: O save me according to thy mercy:
- That they may know that this is thy hand; That thou, LORD, hast done it.
- Let them curse, but bless thou: When they arise, let them be ashamed; but let thy servant rejoice.
- Let mine adversaries be clothed with shame, And let them cover themselves with their own confusion, as with a mantle.
- I will greatly praise the LORD with my mouth; Yea, I will praise him among the multitude.
- For he shall stand at the right hand of the poor, To save him from those that condemn his soul.