Psalm 119 – New International Version (NIV)
- Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord.
- Blessed are those who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart—
- they do no wrong but follow his ways.
- You have laid down precepts that are to be fully obeyed.
- Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees!
- Then I would not be put to shame when I consider all your commands.
- I will praise you with an upright heart as I learn your righteous laws.
- I will obey your decrees; do not utterly forsake me.
- How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word.
- I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.
- I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
- Praise be to you, Lord; teach me your decrees.
- With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth.
- I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches.
- I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.
- I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.
- Be good to your servant while I live, that I may obey your word.
- Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.
- I am a stranger on earth; do not hide your commands from me.
- My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times.
- You rebuke the arrogant, who are accursed, those who stray from your commands.
- Remove from me their scorn and contempt, for I keep your statutes.
- Though rulers sit together and slander me, your servant will meditate on your decrees.
- Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors.
- I am laid low in the dust; preserve my life according to your word.
- I gave an account of my ways and you answered me; teach me your decrees.
- Cause me to understand the way of your precepts, that I may meditate on your wonderful deeds.
- My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.
- Keep me from deceitful ways; be gracious to me and teach me your law.
- I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I have set my heart on your laws.
- I hold fast to your statutes, Lord; do not let me be put to shame.
- I run in the path of your commands, for you have broadened my understanding.
- Teach me, Lord, the way of your decrees, that I may follow it to the end.[b]
- Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law and obey it with all my heart.
- Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight.
- Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain.
- Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.[c]
- Fulfill your promise to your servant, so that you may be feared.
- Take away the disgrace I dread, for your laws are good.
- How I long for your precepts! In your righteousness preserve my life.
- May your unfailing love come to me, Lord, your salvation, according to your promise;
- then I can answer anyone who taunts me, for I trust in your word.
- Never take your word of truth from my mouth, for I have put my hope in your laws.
- I will always obey your law, for ever and ever.
- I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts.
- I will speak of your statutes before kings and will not be put to shame,
- for I delight in your commands because I love them.
- I reach out for your commands, which I love, that I may meditate on your decrees.
- Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope.
- My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.
- The arrogant mock me unmercifully, but I do not turn from your law.
- I remember, Lord, your ancient laws, and I find comfort in them.
- Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law.
- Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge.
- In the night, Lord, I remember your name, that I may keep your law.
- This has been my practice: I obey your precepts.
- You are my portion, Lord; I have promised to obey your words.
- I have sought your face with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise.
- I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes.
- I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands.
- Though the wicked bind me with ropes, I will not forget your law.
- At midnight I rise to give you thanks for your righteous laws.
- I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.
- The earth is filled with your love, Lord; teach me your decrees.
- Do good to your servant according to your word, Lord.
- Teach me knowledge and good judgment, for I trust your commands.
- Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word.
- You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees.
- Though the arrogant have smeared me with lies, I keep your precepts with all my heart.
- Their hearts are callous and unfeeling, but I delight in your law.
- It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees.
- The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.
- Your hands made me and formed me; give me understanding to learn your commands.
- May those who fear you rejoice when they see me, for I have put my hope in your word.
- I know, Lord, that your laws are righteous, and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
- May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant.
- Let your compassion come to me that I may live, for your law is my delight.
- May the arrogant be put to shame for wronging me without cause; but I will meditate on your precepts.
- May those who fear you turn to me, those who understand your statutes.
- May I wholeheartedly follow your decrees, that I may not be put to shame.
- My soul faints with longing for your salvation, but I have put my hope in your word.
- My eyes fail, looking for your promise; I say, “When will you comfort me?”
- Though I am like a wineskin in the smoke, I do not forget your decrees.
- How long must your servant wait? When will you punish my persecutors?
- The arrogant dig pits to trap me, contrary to your law.
- All your commands are trustworthy; help me, for I am being persecuted without cause.
- They almost wiped me from the earth, but I have not forsaken your precepts.
- In your unfailing love preserve my life, that I may obey the statutes of your mouth.
- Your word, Lord, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.
- Your faithfulness continues through all generations; you established the earth, and it endures.
- Your laws endure to this day, for all things serve you.
- If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction.
- I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life.
- Save me, for I am yours; I have sought out your precepts.
- The wicked are waiting to destroy me, but I will ponder your statutes.
- To all perfection I see a limit, but your commands are boundless.
- Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.
- Your commands are always with me and make me wiser than my enemies.
- I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes.
- I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts.
- I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word.
- I have not departed from your laws, for you yourself have taught me.
- How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
- I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path.
- Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
- I have taken an oath and confirmed it, that I will follow your righteous laws.
- I have suffered much; preserve my life, Lord, according to your word.
- Accept, Lord, the willing praise of my mouth, and teach me your laws.
- Though I constantly take my life in my hands, I will not forget your law.
- The wicked have set a snare for me, but I have not strayed from your precepts.
- Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart.
- My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end.[d]
- I hate double-minded people, but I love your law.
- You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.
- Away from me, you evildoers, that I may keep the commands of my God!
- Sustain me, my God, according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed.
- Uphold me, and I will be delivered; I will always have regard for your decrees.
- You reject all who stray from your decrees, for their delusions come to nothing.
- All the wicked of the earth you discard like dross; therefore I love your statutes.
- My flesh trembles in fear of you; I stand in awe of your laws.
- I have done what is righteous and just; do not leave me to my oppressors.
- Ensure your servant’s well-being; do not let the arrogant oppress me.
- My eyes fail, looking for your salvation, looking for your righteous promise.
- Deal with your servant according to your love and teach me your decrees.
- I am your servant; give me discernment that I may understand your statutes.
- It is time for you to act, Lord; your law is being broken.
- Because I love your commands more than gold, more than pure gold,
- and because I consider all your precepts right, I hate every wrong path.
- Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them.
- The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.
- I open my mouth and pant, longing for your commands.
- Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name.
- Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.
- Redeem me from human oppression, that I may obey your precepts.
- Make your face shine on your servant and teach me your decrees.
- Streams of tears flow from my eyes, for your law is not obeyed.
- You are righteous, Lord, and your laws are right.
- The statutes you have laid down are righteous; they are fully trustworthy.
- My zeal wears me out, for my enemies ignore your words.
- Your promises have been thoroughly tested, and your servant loves them.
- Though I am lowly and despised, I do not forget your precepts.
- Your righteousness is everlasting and your law is true.
- Trouble and distress have come upon me, but your commands give me delight.
- Your statutes are always righteous; give me understanding that I may live.
- I call with all my heart; answer me, Lord, and I will obey your decrees.
- I call out to you; save me and I will keep your statutes.
- I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word.
- My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises.
- Hear my voice in accordance with your love; preserve my life, Lord, according to your laws.
- Those who devise wicked schemes are near, but they are far from your law.
- Yet you are near, Lord, and all your commands are true.
- Long ago I learned from your statutes that you established them to last forever.
- Look on my suffering and deliver me, for I have not forgotten your law.
- Defend my cause and redeem me; preserve my life according to your promise.
- Salvation is far from the wicked, for they do not seek out your decrees.
- Your compassion, Lord, is great; preserve my life according to your laws.
- Many are the foes who persecute me, but I have not turned from your statutes.
- I look on the faithless with loathing, for they do not obey your word.
- See how I love your precepts; preserve my life, Lord, in accordance with your love.
- All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal.
ש Sin and Shin
- Rulers persecute me without cause, but my heart trembles at your word.
- I rejoice in your promise like one who finds great spoil.
- I hate and detest falsehood but I love your law.
- Seven times a day I praise you for your righteous laws.
- Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.
- I wait for your salvation, Lord, and I follow your commands.
- I obey your statutes, for I love them greatly.
- I obey your precepts and your statutes, for all my ways are known to you.
- May my cry come before you, Lord; give me understanding according to your word.
- May my supplication come before you; deliver me according to your promise.
- May my lips overflow with praise, for you teach me your decrees.
- May my tongue sing of your word, for all your commands are righteous.
- May your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen your precepts.
- I long for your salvation, Lord, and your law gives me delight.
- Let me live that I may praise you, and may your laws sustain me.
- I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands.
a. Psalm 119:1 This psalm is an acrostic poem, the stanzas of which begin with successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet; moreover, the verses of each stanza begin with the same letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
b. Psalm 119:33 Or follow it for its reward
c. Psalm 119:37 Two manuscripts of the Masoretic Text and Dead Sea Scrolls; most manuscripts of the Masoretic Text life in your way
d. Psalm 119:112 Or decrees / for their enduring reward
b. Psalm 119:33 Or follow it for its reward
c. Psalm 119:37 Two manuscripts of the Masoretic Text and Dead Sea Scrolls; most manuscripts of the Masoretic Text life in your way
d. Psalm 119:112 Or decrees / for their enduring reward
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Psalm 119 – King James Version (KJV)
- Blessed are the undefiled in the way, Who walk in the law of the LORD.
- Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, And that seek him with the whole heart.
- They also do no iniquity: They walk in his ways.
- Thou hast commanded us To keep thy precepts diligently.
- O that my ways were directed To keep thy statutes!
- Then shall I not be ashamed, When I have respect unto all thy commandments.
- I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, When I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
- I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
- Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to thy word.
- With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, That I might not sin against thee.
- Blessed art thou, O LORD: Teach me thy statutes.
- With my lips have I declared All the judgments of thy mouth.
- I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, As much as in all riches.
- I will meditate in thy precepts, And have respect unto thy ways.
- I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.
- Deal bountifully with thy servant, That I may live, and keep thy word.
- Open thou mine eyes, That I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.
- I am a stranger in the earth: Hide not thy commandments from me.
- My soul breaketh for the longing That it hath unto thy judgments at all times.
- Thou hast rebuked the proud That are cursed, which do err from thy commandments.
- Remove from me reproach and contempt: For I have kept thy testimonies.
- Princes also did sit and speak against me: But thy servant did meditate in thy statutes.
- Thy testimonies also are My delight and my counsellors.
- My soul cleaveth unto the dust: Quicken thou me according to thy word.
- I have declared my ways, and thou heardest me: Teach me thy statutes.
- Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: So shall I talk of thy wondrous works.
- My soul melteth for heaviness: Strengthen thou me according unto thy word.
- Remove from me the way of lying: And grant me thy law graciously.
- I have chosen the way of truth: Thy judgments have I laid before me.
- I have stuck unto thy testimonies: O LORD, put me not to shame.
- I will run the way of thy commandments, When thou shalt enlarge my heart.
- Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; And I shall keep it unto the end.
- Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; Yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.
- Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; For therein do I delight.
- Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, And not to covetousness.
- Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; And quicken thou me in thy way.
- Stablish thy word Unto thy servant, who is devoted to thy fear.
- Turn away my reproach which I fear: For thy judgments are good
- Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: Quicken me in thy righteousness.
- Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, Even thy salvation, according to thy word.
- So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: For I trust in thy word.
- And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth; For I have hoped in thy judgments.
- So shall I keep thy law continually for ever and ever.
- And I will walk at liberty: For I seek thy precepts.
- I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, And will not be ashamed.
- And I will delight myself In thy commandments, which I have loved.
- My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; And I will meditate in thy statutes.
- Remember the word unto thy servant, Upon which thou hast caused me to hope.
- This is my comfort in my affliction: For thy word hath quickened me.
- The proud have had me greatly in derision: Yet have I not declined from thy law.
- I remembered thy judgments of old, O LORD; And have comforted myself.
- Horror hath taken hold upon me Because of the wicked that forsake thy law.
- Thy statutes have been my songs In the house of my pilgrimage.
- I have remembered thy name, O LORD, in the night, and have kept thy law.
- This I had, because I kept thy precepts.
- Thou art my portion, O LORD: I have said that I would keep thy words.
- I intreated thy favour with my whole heart: Be merciful unto me according to thy word.
- I thought on my ways, And turned my feet unto thy testimonies.
- I made haste, and delayed not To keep thy commandments.
- The bands of the wicked have robbed me: But I have not forgotten thy law.
- At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee Because of thy righteous judgments.
- I am a companion of all them That fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts.
- The earth, O LORD, is full of Thy mercy: Teach me thy statutes.
- Thou hast dealt well with thy servant, O LORD, according unto thy word.
- Teach me good judgment and knowledge: For I have believed thy commandments.
- Before I was afflicted I went astray: But now have I kept thy word.
- Thou art good, and doest good; Teach me thy statutes.
- The proud have forged a lie against me: But I will keep thy precepts with my whole heart.
- Their heart is as fat as grease; But I delight in thy law.
- It is good for me that I have been afflicted; That I might learn thy statutes.
- The law of thy mouth is better unto me Than thousands of gold and silver.
- Thy hands have made me and fashioned me: Give me understanding, that I may learn thy commandments.
- They that fear thee will be glad when they see me; Because I have hoped in thy word.
- I know, O LORD, that thy judgments are right, And that thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me.
- Let, I pray thee, thy merciful kindness be for my comfort, According to thy word unto thy servant.
- Let thy tender mercies come unto me, that I may live: For thy law is my delight.
- Let the proud be ashamed; for they dealt perversely with me without a cause: But I will meditate in thy precepts.
- Let those that fear thee turn unto me, And those that have known thy testimonies.
- Let my heart be sound in thy statutes; That I be not ashamed.
- My soul fainteth for thy salvation: But I hope in thy word.
- Mine eyes fail for thy word, Saying, When wilt thou comfort me?
- For I am become like a bottle in the smoke; Yet do I not forget thy statutes.
- How many are the days of thy servant? When wilt thou execute judgment on them that persecute me?
- The proud have digged pits for me, Which are not after thy law.
- All thy commandments are faithful: They persecute me wrongfully; help thou me.
- They had almost consumed me upon earth; But I forsook not thy precepts.
- Quicken me after thy lovingkindness; So shall I keep the testimony of thy mouth.
- For ever, O LORD, Thy word Is settled in heaven.
- Thy faithfulness is unto all generations: Thou hast established the earth, and it abideth.
- They continue this day according to thine ordinances: For all are thy servants.
- Unless thy law had been my delights,I should then have perished in mine affliction.
- I will never forget thy precepts: For with them thou hast quickened me.
- I am thine, save me; For I have sought thy precepts.
- The wicked have waited for me to destroy me: But I will consider thy testimonies.
- I have seen an end of all perfection: But thy commandment is exceeding broad.
- O how love I thy law! It is my meditation all the day.
- Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: For they are ever with me.
- I have more understanding than all my teachers: For thy testimonies are my meditation.
- I understand more than the ancients, Because I keep thy precepts.
- I have refrained my feet from every evil way, That I might keep thy word.
- I have not departed From thy judgments: For thou hast taught me.
- How sweet are thy words unto my taste! Yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
- Through thy precepts I get understanding: Therefore I hate every false way.
- Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, And a light unto my path.
- I have sworn, and I will perform it, That I will keep thy righteous judgments.
- I am afflicted very much: Quicken me, O LORD, according unto thy word.
- Accept, I beseech thee, the freewill offerings of my mouth, O LORD, And teach me thy judgments.
- My soul is continually in my hand: Yet do I not forget thy law.
- The wicked have laid a snare for me: Yet I erred not from thy precepts.
- Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: For they are the rejoicing of my heart.
- I have inclined mine heart to perform thy statutes Alway, even unto the end.
- I hate vain thoughts: But thy law do I love.
- Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.
- Depart from me, ye evildoers: For I will keep the commandments of my God.
- Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: And let me not be ashamed of my hope.
- Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe: And I will have respect unto thy statutes continually.
- Thou hast trodden down all them that err from thy statutes: For their deceit is falsehood.
- Thou puttest away all the wicked of the earth like dross: Therefore I love thy testimonies.
- My flesh trembleth for fear of thee; And I am afraid of thy judgments.
- I have done judgment and justice: Leave me not to mine oppressors.
- Be surety for thy servant for good: Let not the proud oppress me.
- Mine eyes fail for thy salvation, And for the word of thy righteousness.
- Deal with thy servant according unto thy mercy, And teach me thy statutes.
- I am thy servant; give me understanding, That I may know thy testimonies.
- It is time for thee, LORD, to work: For they have made void thy law.
- Therefore I love thy commandments Above gold; yea, above fine gold.
- Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; And I hate every false way.
- Thy testimonies are wonderful: Therefore doth my soul keep them.
- The entrance of thy words giveth light; It giveth understanding unto the simple.
- I opened my mouth, and panted: For I longed for thy commandments.
- Look thou upon me, and be merciful unto me, As thou usest to do unto those that love thy name.
- Order my steps in thy word: And let not any iniquity have dominion over me.
- Deliver me from the oppression of man: So will I keep thy precepts.
- Make thy face to shine upon thy servant; And teach me thy statutes.
- Rivers of waters run down mine eyes, Because they keep not thy law.
- Righteous art thou, O LORD, And upright are thy judgments.
- Thy testimonies that thou hast commanded are righteous and very faithful.
- My zeal hath consumed me, Because mine enemies have forgotten thy words.
- Thy word is very pure: Therefore thy servant loveth it.
- I am small and despised: Yet do not I forget thy precepts.
- Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, And thy law is the truth.
- Trouble and anguish have taken hold on me: Yet thy commandments are my delights.
- The righteousness of thy testimonies is everlasting: Give me understanding, and I shall live.
- I cried with my whole heart; hear me, O LORD: I will keep thy statutes.
- I cried unto thee; save me, and I shall keep thy testimonies.
- I prevented the dawning of the morning, and cried: I hoped in thy word.
- Mine eyes prevent the night watches, That I might meditate in thy word.
- Hear my voice according unto thy lovingkindness: O LORD, quicken me according to thy judgment.
- They draw nigh that follow after mischief: They are far from thy law.
- Thou art near, O LORD; And all thy commandments are truth.
- Concerning thy testimonies, I have known of old That thou hast founded them for ever.
- Consider mine affliction, and deliver me: For I do not forget thy law.
- Plead my cause, and deliver me: Quicken me according to thy word.
- Salvation is far from the wicked: -For they seek not thy statutes.
- Great are thy tender mercies, O LORD: Quicken me according to thy judgments.
- Many are my persecutors and mine enemies; Yet do I not decline from thy testimonies.
- I beheld the transgressors, and was grieved; Because they kept not thy word.
- Consider how I love thy precepts: Quicken me, O LORD, according to thy lovingkindness.
- Thy word is true from the beginning: And every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.
- Princes have persecuted me without a cause: But my heart standeth in awe of thy word.
- I rejoice at thy word, As one that findeth great spoil.
- I hate and abhor lying: But thy law do I love.
- Seven times a day do I praise thee Because of thy righteous judgments.
- Great peace have they which love thy law: And nothing shall offend them.
- LORD, I have hoped for thy salvation, And done thy commandments.
- My soul hath kept thy testimonies; And I love them exceedingly.
- I have kept thy precepts and thy testimonies: For all my ways are before thee.
- Let my cry come near before thee, O LORD: Give me understanding according to thy word.
- Let my supplication come before thee: Deliver me according to thy word.
- My lips shall utter praise, When thou hast taught me thy statutes.
- My tongue shall speak of thy word: For all thy commandments are righteousness.
- Let thine hand help me; For I have chosen thy precepts.
- I have longed for thy salvation, O LORD; And thy law is my delight.
- Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee; And let thy judgments help me.
- I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; For I do not forget thy commandments.