Psalm 139 – New International Version (NIV)
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.
- You have searched me, Lord, and you know me.
- You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
- You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
- Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely.
- You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.
- Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
- Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?
- If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
- If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,
- even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
- If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,”
- even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.
- For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
- I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
- My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
- Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
- How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God! How vast is the sum of them!
- Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand— when I awake, I am still with you.
- If only you, God, would slay the wicked! Away from me, you who are bloodthirsty!
- They speak of you with evil intent; your adversaries misuse your name.
- Do I not hate those who hate you, Lord, and abhor those who are in rebellion against you?
- I have nothing but hatred for them; I count them my enemies.
- Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
- See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Psalm 139 – King James Version (KJV)
To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.
- O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.
- Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
- Thou compassest my path and my lying down, And art acquainted with all my ways.
- For there is not a word in my tongue, But, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.
- Thou hast beset me behind and before, And laid thine hand upon me.
- Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is high, I cannot attain unto it.
- Whither shall I go from thy spirit? Or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
- If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: If I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
- If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
- Even there shall thy hand lead me, And thy right hand shall hold me.
- If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; Even the night shall be light about me.
- Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; But the night shineth as the day: The darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
- For thou hast possessed my reins: Thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb.
- I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: Marvellous are thy works; And that my soul knoweth right well.
- My substance was not hid from thee, When I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
- Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; And in thy book all my members were written, Which in continuance were fashioned, When as yet there was none of them.
- How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them!
- If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: When I awake, I am still with thee.
- Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: Depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.
- For they speak against thee wickedly, And thine enemies take thy name in vain.
- Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? And am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
- I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.
- Search me, O God, and know my heart: Try me, and know my thoughts:
- And see if there be any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.