Psalm 17 – New International Version (NIV)
A prayer of David.
- Hear me, Lord, my plea is just; listen to my cry. Hear my prayer— it does not rise from deceitful lips.
- Let my vindication come from you; may your eyes see what is right.
- Though you probe my heart, though you examine me at night and test me, you will find that I have planned no evil; my mouth has not transgressed.
- Though people tried to bribe me, I have kept myself from the ways of the violent through what your lips have commanded.
- My steps have held to your paths; my feet have not stumbled.
- I call on you, my God, for you will answer me; turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.
- Show me the wonders of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes.
- Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings
- from the wicked who are out to destroy me, from my mortal enemies who surround me.
- They close up their callous hearts, and their mouths speak with arrogance.
- They have tracked me down, they now surround me, with eyes alert, to throw me to the ground.
- They are like a lion hungry for prey, like a fierce lion crouching in cover.
- Rise up, Lord, confront them, bring them down; with your sword rescue me from the wicked.
- By your hand save me from such people, Lord, from those of this world whose reward is in this life. May what you have stored up for the wicked fill their bellies; may their children gorge themselves on it, and may there be leftovers for their little ones.
- As for me, I will be vindicated and will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Psalm 17 – King James Version (KJV)
A Prayer of David.
- Hear the right, O LORD, attend unto my cry, Give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips.
- Let my sentence come forth from thy presence; Let thine eyes behold the things that are equal.
- Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited me in the night; Thou hast tried me, and shalt find nothing; I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.
- Concerning the works of men, by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer.
- Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not.
- I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: Incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech.
- Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee From those that rise up against them.
- Keep me as the apple of the eye, Hide me under the shadow of thy wings,
- From the wicked that oppress me, From my deadly enemies, who compass me about.
- They are inclosed in their own fat: With their mouth they speak proudly.
- They have now compassed us in our steps: They have set their eyes bowing down to the earth;
- Like as a lion that is greedy of his prey, And as it were a young lion lurking in secret places.
- Arise, O LORD, disappoint him, cast him down: Deliver my soul from the wicked, which is thy sword:
- From men which are thy hand, O LORD, from men of the world, Which have their portion in this life, and whose belly thou fillest with thy hid treasure: They are full of children, And leave the rest of their substance to their babes.
- As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.