Psalm 40 – New International Version (NIV)
Psalm 40 [a]
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.
- I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.
- He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.
- He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him.
- Blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods.[b]
- Many, Lord my God, are the wonders you have done, the things you planned for us. None can compare with you; were I to speak and tell of your deeds, they would be too many to declare.
- Sacrifice and offering you did not desire— but my ears you have opened[c]— burnt offerings and sin offerings[d] you did not require.
- Then I said, “Here I am, I have come— it is written about me in the scroll.[e]
- I desire to do your will, my God; your law is within my heart.”
- I proclaim your saving acts in the great assembly; I do not seal my lips, Lord, as you know.
- I do not hide your righteousness in my heart; I speak of your faithfulness and your saving help. I do not conceal your love and your faithfulness from the great assembly.
- Do not withhold your mercy from me, Lord; may your love and faithfulness always protect me.
- For troubles without number surround me; my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see. They are more than the hairs of my head, and my heart fails within me.
- Be pleased to save me, Lord; come quickly, Lord, to help me.
- May all who want to take my life be put to shame and confusion; may all who desire my ruin be turned back in disgrace.
- May those who say to me, “Aha! Aha!” be appalled at their own shame.
- But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who long for your saving help always say, “The Lord is great!”
- But as for me, I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; you are my God, do not delay.
Psalm 40 – King James Version (KJV)
To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.
- I waited patiently for the LORD; And he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
- He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, And set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
- And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: Many shall see it, and fear, And shall trust in the LORD.
- Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, And respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.
- Many, O LORD my God, Are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, And thy thoughts which are to us-ward: They cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: If I would declare and speak of them, They are more than can be numbered.
- Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; Mine ears hast thou opened: Burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.
- Then said I, Lo, I come: In the volume of the book it is written of me,
- I delight to do thy will, O my God: Yea, thy law is within my heart.
- I have preached righteousness in the great congregation: Lo, I have not refrained my lips, O LORD, thou knowest.
- I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation: I have not concealed thy lovingkindness, And thy truth from the great congregation.
- Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O LORD: Let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me.
- For innumerable evils have compassed me about: Mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; They are more than the hairs of mine head: Therefore my heart faileth me.
- Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me: O LORD, make haste to help me.
- Let them be ashamed and confounded together That seek after my soul to destroy it; Let them be driven backward and put to shame that wish me evil.
- Let them be desolate for a reward of their shame That say unto me, Aha, aha.
- Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: Let such as love thy salvation say continually, the LORD be magnified.
- But I am poor and needy; Yet the Lord thinketh upon me: Thou art my help and my deliverer; Make no tarrying, O my God.