Psalm 5 – New International Version (NIV)
For the director of music. For pipes. A psalm of David.
- Listen to my words, Lord, consider my lament.
- Hear my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray.
- In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly.
- For you are not a God who is pleased with wickedness; with you, evil people are not welcome.
- The arrogant cannot stand in your presence. You hate all who do wrong;
- you destroy those who tell lies. The bloodthirsty and deceitful you, Lord, detest.
- But I, by your great love, can come into your house; in reverence I bow down toward your holy temple.
- Lead me, Lord, in your righteousness because of my enemies—make your way straight before me.
- Not a word from their mouth can be trusted; their heart is filled with malice. Their throat is an open grave; with their tongues they tell lies.
- Declare them guilty, O God! Let their intrigues be their downfall. Banish them for their many sins, for they have rebelled against you.
- But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.
- Surely, Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.
Psalm 5 – King James Version (KJV)
- Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation.
- Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray.
- My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.
- For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee.
- The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
- Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the Lord will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.
- But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.
- Lead me, O Lord, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face.
- For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue.
- Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee.
- But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.
- For thou, Lord, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.