Psalm 89 – New International Version (NIV)
A maskil[b] of Ethan the Ezrahite.
- I will sing of the Lord’s great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations.
- I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that you have established your faithfulness in heaven itself.
- You said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one, I have sworn to David my servant,
- ‘I will establish your line forever and make your throne firm through all generations.’”[c]
- The heavens praise your wonders, Lord, your faithfulness too, in the assembly of the holy ones.
- For who in the skies above can compare with the Lord? Who is like the Lord among the heavenly beings?
- In the council of the holy ones God is greatly feared; he is more awesome than all who surround him.
- Who is like you, Lord God Almighty? You, Lord, are mighty, and your faithfulness surrounds you.
- You rule over the surging sea; when its waves mount up, you still them.
- You crushed Rahab like one of the slain; with your strong arm you scattered your enemies.
- The heavens are yours, and yours also the earth; you founded the world and all that is in it.
- You created the north and the south; Tabor and Hermon sing for joy at your name.
- Your arm is endowed with power; your hand is strong, your right hand exalted.
- Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; love and faithfulness go before you.
- Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, Lord.
- They rejoice in your name all day long; they celebrate your righteousness.
- For you are their glory and strength, and by your favor you exalt our horn.[d]
- Indeed, our shield[e] belongs to the Lord, our king to the Holy One of Israel.
- Once you spoke in a vision, to your faithful people you said: “I have bestowed strength on a warrior; I have raised up a young man from among the people.
- I have found David my servant; with my sacred oil I have anointed him.
- My hand will sustain him; surely my arm will strengthen him.
- The enemy will not get the better of him; the wicked will not oppress him.
- I will crush his foes before him and strike down his adversaries.
- My faithful love will be with him, and through my name his horn[f] will be exalted.
- I will set his hand over the sea, his right hand over the rivers.
- He will call out to me, ‘You are my Father, my God, the Rock my Savior.’
- And I will appoint him to be my firstborn, the most exalted of the kings of the earth.
- I will maintain my love to him forever, and my covenant with him will never fail.
- I will establish his line forever, his throne as long as the heavens endure.
- “If his sons forsake my law and do not follow my statutes,
- if they violate my decrees and fail to keep my commands,
- I will punish their sin with the rod, their iniquity with flogging;
- but I will not take my love from him, nor will I ever betray my faithfulness.
- I will not violate my covenant or alter what my lips have uttered.
- Once for all, I have sworn by my holiness— and I will not lie to David—
- that his line will continue forever and his throne endure before me like the sun;
- it will be established forever like the moon, the faithful witness in the sky.”
- But you have rejected, you have spurned, you have been very angry with your anointed one.
- You have renounced the covenant with your servant and have defiled his crown in the dust.
- You have broken through all his walls and reduced his strongholds to ruins.
- All who pass by have plundered him; he has become the scorn of his neighbors.
- You have exalted the right hand of his foes; you have made all his enemies rejoice.
- Indeed, you have turned back the edge of his sword and have not supported him in battle.
- You have put an end to his splendor and cast his throne to the ground.
- You have cut short the days of his youth; you have covered him with a mantle of shame.
- How long, Lord? Will you hide yourself forever? How long will your wrath burn like fire?
- Remember how fleeting is my life. For what futility you have created all humanity!
- Who can live and not see death, or who can escape the power of the grave?
- Lord, where is your former great love, which in your faithfulness you swore to David?
- Remember, Lord, how your servant has[g] been mocked, how I bear in my heart the taunts of all the nations,
- the taunts with which your enemies, Lord, have mocked, with which they have mocked every step of your anointed one.
- Praise be to the Lord forever! Amen and Amen.
a. Psalm 89:1 In Hebrew texts 89:1-52 is numbered 89:2-53.
b. Psalm 89:1 Title: Probably a literary or musical term
c. Psalm 89:4 The Hebrew has Selah (a word of uncertain meaning) here and at the end of verses 37, 45 and 48.
d. Psalm 89:17 Horn here symbolizes strong one.
e. Psalm 89:18 Or sovereign
f. Psalm 89:24 Horn here symbolizes strength.
g. Psalm 89:50 Or your servants have
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Psalm 89 – King James Version (KJV)
Maschil of Ethan the Ezrahite.
- I will sing of the mercies of the LORD for ever: With my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations.
- For I have said, Mercy shall be built up for ever: Thy faithfulness shalt thou establish in the very heavens.
- I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant,
- Thy seed will I establish for ever, And build up thy throne to all generations. Selah.
- And the heavens shall praise thy wonders, O LORD: Thy faithfulness also in the congregation of the saints.
- For who in the heaven Can be compared unto the LORD? Who among the sons of the mighty Can be likened unto the LORD?
- God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, And to be had in reverence of all them that are about him.
- O LORD God of hosts, who is a strong LORD like unto thee? Or to thy faithfulness round about thee?
- Thou rulest the raging of the sea: When the waves thereof arise, thou stillest them.
- Thou hast broken Rahab in pieces, as one that is slain; Thou hast scattered thine enemies with thy strong arm.
- The heavens are thine, the earth also is thine: As for the world and the fulness thereof, thou hast founded them.
- The north and the south thou hast created them: Tabor and Hermon shall rejoice in thy name.
- Thou hast a mighty arm: Strong is thy hand, and high is thy right hand.
- Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: Mercy and truth shall go before thy face.
- Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound: They shall walk, O LORD, in the light of thy countenance.
- In thy name shall they rejoice all the day: And in thy righteousness shall they be exalted.
- For thou art the glory of their strength: And in thy favour our horn shall be exalted.
- For the LORD is our defence; And the Holy One of Israel is our King.
- Then thou spakest in vision to thy holy one, and saidst, I have laid help upon one that is mighty; I have exalted one chosen out of the people.
- I have found David my servant; With my holy oil have I anointed him:
- With whom my hand shall be established: Mine arm also shall strengthen him.
- The enemy shall not exact upon him; Nor the son of wickedness afflict him.
- And I will beat down his foes before his face, And plague them that hate him.
- But my faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him: And in my name shall his horn be exalted.
- I will set his hand also in the sea, And his right hand in the rivers.
- He shall cry unto me, Thou art my father, My God, and the rock of my salvation.
- Also I will make him my firstborn, Higher than the kings of the earth.
- My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, And my covenant shall stand fast with him.
- His seed also will I make to endure for ever, And his throne as the days of heaven.
- If his children forsake my law, And walk not in my judgments;
- If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments;
- Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.
- Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, Nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.
- My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.
- Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David.
- His seed shall endure for ever, And his throne as the sun before me.
- It shall be established for ever as the moon, And as a faithful witness in heaven. Selah.
- But thou hast cast off and abhorred, Thou hast been wroth with thine anointed.
- Thou hast made void the covenant of thy servant: Thou hast profaned his crown by casting it to the ground.
- Thou hast broken down all his hedges; Thou hast brought his strong holds to ruin.
- All that pass by the way spoil him: He is a reproach to his neighbours.
- Thou hast set up the right hand of his adversaries; Thou hast made all his enemies to rejoice.
- Thou hast also turned the edge of his sword, And hast not made him to stand in the battle.
- Thou hast made his glory to cease, And cast his throne down to the ground.
- The days of his youth hast thou shortened: Thou hast covered him with shame. Selah.
- How long, LORD? wilt thou hide thyself for ever? Shall thy wrath burn like fire?
- Remember how short my time is: Wherefore hast thou made all men in vain?
- What man is he that liveth, and shall not see death? Shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the grave? Selah.
- Lord, where are thy former lovingkindnesses, Which thou swarest unto David in thy truth?
- Remember, Lord, the reproach of thy servants; How I do bear in my bosom the reproach of all the mighty people;
- Wherewith thine enemies have reproached, O LORD; Wherewith they have reproached the footsteps of thine anointed.
- Blessed be the LORD for ever