Romans 13 – New International Version (NIV)
Submission to Governing Authorities
- Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
- Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.
- For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended.
- For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.
- Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.
- This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing.
- Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
Love Fulfills the Law
- Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.
- The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,”[a] and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”[b]
- Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
The Day Is Near
- And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.
- The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.
- Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.
- Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.[c]
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Romans 13 – King James Version (KJV)
- Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
- Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
- For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
- For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
- Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
- For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God’s ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
- Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.
- Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
- For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
- Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
- And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
- The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
- Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.
- But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.