Psalm 38 – New International Version (NIV)
A psalm of David. A petition.
- Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath.
- Your arrows have pierced me, and your hand has come down on me.
- Because of your wrath there is no health in my body; there is no soundness in my bones because of my sin.
- My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear.
- My wounds fester and are loathsome because of my sinful folly.
- I am bowed down and brought very low; all day long I go about mourning.
- My back is filled with searing pain; there is no health in my body.
- I am feeble and utterly crushed; I groan in anguish of heart.
- All my longings lie open before you, Lord; my sighing is not hidden from you.
- My heart pounds, my strength fails me; even the light has gone from my eyes.
- My friends and companions avoid me because of my wounds; my neighbors stay far away.
- Those who want to kill me set their traps, those who would harm me talk of my ruin; all day long they scheme and lie.
- I am like the deaf, who cannot hear, like the mute, who cannot speak;
- I have become like one who does not hear, whose mouth can offer no reply.
- Lord, I wait for you; you will answer, Lord my God.
- For I said, “Do not let them gloat or exalt themselves over me when my feet slip.”
- For I am about to fall, and my pain is ever with me.
- I confess my iniquity; I am troubled by my sin.
- Many have become my enemies without cause[b]; those who hate me without reason are numerous.
- Those who repay my good with evil lodge accusations against me, though I seek only to do what is good.
- Lord, do not forsake me; do not be far from me, my God.
- Come quickly to help me, my Lord and my Savior.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Psalm 38 – King James Version (KJV)
A Psalm of David, to bring to remembrance.
- O LORD, rebuke me not in thy wrath: Neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.
- For thine arrows stick fast in me,And thy hand presseth me sore.
- There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; Neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin.
- For mine iniquities are gone over mine head:As an heavy burden they are too heavy for me.
- My wounds stink and are corrupt Because of my foolishness.
- I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long.
- For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease: And there is no soundness in my flesh.
- I am feeble and sore broken: I have roared by reason of the disquietness of my heart.
- Lord, all my desire is before thee; And my groaning is not hid from thee.
- My heart panteth, my strength faileth me: As for the light of mine eyes, it also is gone from me.
- My lovers and my friends stand aloof from my sore; And my kinsmen stand afar off.
- They also that seek after my life lay snares for me: And they that seek my hurt speak mischievous things, and imagine deceits all the day long.
- But I, as a deaf man, heard not; And I was as a dumb man that openeth not his mouth.
- Thus I was as a man that heareth not, And in whose mouth are no reproofs.
- For in thee, O LORD, do I hope: Thou wilt hear, O Lord my God.
- For I said, Hear me, lest otherwise they should rejoice over me: When my foot slippeth, they magnify themselves against me.
- For I am ready to halt, And my sorrow is continually before me.
- For I will declare mine iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin.
- But mine enemies are lively, and they are strong: And they that hate me wrongfully are multiplied.
- They also that render evil for good Are mine adversaries; because I follow the thing that good is.
- Forsake me not, O LORD: O my God, be not far from me.
- Make haste to help me, O Lord my salvation.