Psalm 44 – New International Version (NIV)
For the director of music. Of the Sons of Korah. A maskil.[b]
- We have heard it with our ears, O God; our ancestors have told us what you did in their days, in days long ago.
- With your hand you drove out the nations and planted our ancestors; you crushed the peoples and made our ancestors flourish.
- It was not by their sword that they won the land, nor did their arm bring them victory; it was your right hand, your arm, and the light of your face, for you loved them.
- You are my King and my God, who decrees[c] victories for Jacob.
- Through you we push back our enemies; through your name we trample our foes.
- I put no trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory;
- but you give us victory over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame.
- In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name forever.[d]
- But now you have rejected and humbled us; you no longer go out with our armies.
- You made us retreat before the enemy, and our adversaries have plundered us.
- You gave us up to be devoured like sheep and have scattered us among the nations.
- You sold your people for a pittance, gaining nothing from their sale.
- You have made us a reproach to our neighbors, the scorn and derision of those around us.
- You have made us a byword among the nations; the peoples shake their heads at us.
- I live in disgrace all day long, and my face is covered with shame
- at the taunts of those who reproach and revile me, because of the enemy, who is bent on revenge.
- All this came upon us, though we had not forgotten you; we had not been false to your covenant.
- Our hearts had not turned back; our feet had not strayed from your path.
- But you crushed us and made us a haunt for jackals; you covered us over with deep darkness.
- If we had forgotten the name of our God or spread out our hands to a foreign god,
- would not God have discovered it, since he knows the secrets of the heart?
- Yet for your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.
- Awake, Lord! Why do you sleep? Rouse yourself! Do not reject us forever.
- Why do you hide your face and forget our misery and oppression?
- We are brought down to the dust; our bodies cling to the ground.
- Rise up and help us; rescue us because of your unfailing love.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Psalm 44 – King James Version (KJV)
To the chief Musician for the sons of Korah, Maschil.
- We have heard with our ears, O God, our fathers have told us, What work thou didst in their days, in the times of old.
- How thou didst drive out the heathen with thy hand, and plantedst them; How thou didst afflict the people, and cast them out.
- For they got not the land in possession by their own sword, Neither did their own arm save them: But thy right hand, and thine arm, and the light of thy countenance, Because thou hadst a favour unto them.
- Thou art my King, O God: Command deliverances for Jacob.
- Through thee will we push down our enemies: Through thy name will we tread them under that rise up against us.
- For I will not trust in my bow, Neither shall my sword save me.
- But thou hast saved us from our enemies, And hast put them to shame that hated us.
- In God we boast all the day long, And praise thy name for ever. Selah.
- But thou hast cast off, and put us to shame; And goest not forth with our armies.
- Thou makest us to turn back from the enemy: And they which hate us spoil for themselves.
- Thou hast given us like sheep appointed for meat; And hast scattered us among the heathen.
- Thou sellest thy people for nought, And dost not increase thy wealth by their price.
- Thou makest us a reproach to our neighbours, A scorn and a derision to them that are round about us.
- Thou makest us a byword among the heathen, A shaking of the head among the people.
- My confusion is continually before me, And the shame of my face hath covered me,
- For the voice of him that reproacheth and blasphemeth; By reason of the enemy and avenger.
- All this is come upon us; yet have we not forgotten thee, Neither have we dealt falsely in thy covenant.
- Our heart is not turned back, Neither have our steps declined from thy way;
- Though thou hast sore broken us in the place of dragons, And covered us with the shadow of death.
- If we have forgotten the name of our God, or stretched out our hands to a strange god;
- Shall not God search this out? For he knoweth the secrets of the heart.
- Yea, for thy sake are we killed all the day long; We are counted as sheep for the slaughter.
- Awake, why sleepest thou, O Lord? Arise, cast us not off for ever.
- Wherefore hidest thou thy face, And forgettest our affliction and our oppression?
- For our soul is bowed down to the dust: Our belly cleaveth unto the earth.
- Arise for our help, And redeem us for thy mercies’ sake.