Psalm 55 – New International Version (NIV)
For the director of music. With stringed instruments. A maskil[b] of David.
- Listen to my prayer, O God, do not ignore my plea;
- hear me and answer me. My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught
- because of what my enemy is saying, because of the threats of the wicked; for they bring down suffering on me and assail me in their anger.
- My heart is in anguish within me; the terrors of death have fallen on me.
- Fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed me.
- I said, “Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.
- I would flee far away and stay in the desert;[c]
- I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and storm.”
- Lord, confuse the wicked, confound their words, for I see violence and strife in the city.
- Day and night they prowl about on its walls; malice and abuse are within it.
- Destructive forces are at work in the city; threats and lies never leave its streets.
- If an enemy were insulting me, I could endure it; if a foe were rising against me, I could hide.
- But it is you, a man like myself, my companion, my close friend,
- with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship at the house of God, as we walked about among the worshipers.
- Let death take my enemies by surprise; let them go down alive to the realm of the dead, for evil finds lodging among them.
- As for me, I call to God, and the Lord saves me.
- Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice.
- He rescues me unharmed from the battle waged against me, even though many oppose me.
- God, who is enthroned from of old, who does not change— he will hear them and humble them, because they have no fear of God.
- My companion attacks his friends; he violates his covenant.
- His talk is smooth as butter, yet war is in his heart; his words are more soothing than oil, yet they are drawn swords.
- Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.
- But you, God, will bring down the wicked into the pit of decay; the bloodthirsty and deceitful will not live out half their days. But as for me, I trust in you.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Psalm 55 – King James Version (KJV)
To the chief Musician on Neginoth, Maschil, A Psalm of David.
- Give ear to my prayer, O God; And hide not thyself from my supplication.
- Attend unto me, and hear me: I mourn in my complaint, and make a noise;
- Because of the voice of the enemy, Because of the oppression of the wicked: For they cast iniquity upon me, And in wrath they hate me.
- My heart is sore pained within me: And the terrors of death are fallen upon me.
- Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, And horror hath overwhelmed me.
- And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! For then would I fly away, and be at rest.
- Lo, then would I wander far off, And remain in the wilderness. Selah.
- I would hasten my escape From the windy storm and tempest.
- Destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues: For I have seen violence and strife in the city.
- Day and night they go about it upon the walls thereof: Mischief also and sorrow are in the midst of it.
- Wickedness is in the midst thereof:Deceit and guile depart not from her streets.
- For it was not an enemy that reproached me; Then I could have born it: Neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; Then I would have hid myself from him:
- But it was thou, a man mine equal, My guide, and mine acquaintance.
- We took sweet counsel together, And walked unto the house of God in company.
- Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: For wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.
- As for me, I will call upon God; And the LORD shall save me.
- Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: And he shall hear my voice.
- He hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me: For there were many with me.
- God shall hear, and afflict them, even he that abideth of old. Selah. Because they have no changes, therefore they fear not God.
- He hath put forth his hands against such as be at peace with him: He hath broken his covenant.
- The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in his heart: His words were softer than oil, yet were they drawn swords.
- Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.
- But thou, O God, shalt bring them down into the pit of destruction: Bloody and deceitful men shall not live out half their days; But I will trust in thee.