Psalm 56 – New International Version (NIV)
For the director of music. To the tune of “A Dove on Distant Oaks.” Of David. A miktam.[b] When the Philistines had seized him in Gath.
- Be merciful to me, my God, for my enemies are in hot pursuit; all day long they press their attack.
- My adversaries pursue me all day long; in their pride many are attacking me.
- When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
- In God, whose word I praise— in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?
- All day long they twist my words; all their schemes are for my ruin.
- They conspire, they lurk, they watch my steps, hoping to take my life.
- Because of their wickedness do not[c] let them escape; in your anger, God, bring the nations down.
- Record my misery; list my tears on your scroll[d]— are they not in your record?
- Then my enemies will turn back when I call for help. By this I will know that God is for me.
- In God, whose word I praise, in the Lord, whose word I praise—
- in God I trust and am not afraid. What can man do to me?
- I am under vows to you, my God; I will present my thank offerings to you.
- For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Psalm 56 – King James Version (KJV)
To the chief Musician upon Jonath-elem-rechokim, Michtam of David, when the Philistines took him in Gath.
- Be merciful unto me, O God: for man would swallow me up; He fighting daily oppresseth me.
- Mine enemies would daily swallow me up: For they be many that fight against me, O thou most High.
- What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.
- In God I will praise his word, In God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.
- Every day they wrest my words: All their thoughts are against me for evil.
- They gather themselves together, they hide themselves, They mark my steps, when they wait for my soul.
- Shall they escape by iniquity? In thine anger cast down the people, O God.
- Thou tellest my wanderings: Put thou my tears into thy bottle: Are they not in thy book?
- When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: This I know; for God is for me.
- In God will I praise his word: In the LORD will I praise his word.
- In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.
- Thy vows are upon me, O God: I will render praises unto thee.
- For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, That I may walk before God in the light of the living?