Psalm 72 – New International Version (NIV)
- Endow the king with your justice, O God, the royal son with your righteousness.
- May he judge your people in righteousness, your afflicted ones with justice.
- May the mountains bring prosperity to the people, the hills the fruit of righteousness.
- May he defend the afflicted among the people and save the children of the needy; may he crush the oppressor.
- May he endure[a] as long as the sun, as long as the moon, through all generations.
- May he be like rain falling on a mown field, like showers watering the earth.
- In his days may the righteous flourish and prosperity abound till the moon is no more.
- May he rule from sea to sea and from the River[b] to the ends of the earth.
- May the desert tribes bow before him and his enemies lick the dust.
- May the kings of Tarshish and of distant shores bring tribute to him. May the kings of Sheba and Seba present him gifts.
- May all kings bow down to him and all nations serve him.
- For he will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help.
- He will take pity on the weak and the needy and save the needy from death.
- He will rescue them from oppression and violence, for precious is their blood in his sight.
- Long may he live! May gold from Sheba be given him. May people ever pray for him and bless him all day long.
- May grain abound throughout the land; on the tops of the hills may it sway. May the crops flourish like Lebanon and thrive[c] like the grass of the field.
- May his name endure forever; may it continue as long as the sun. Then all nations will be blessed through him,[d] and they will call him blessed.
- Praise be to the Lord God, the God of Israel, who alone does marvelous deeds.
- Praise be to his glorious name forever; may the whole earth be filled with his glory. Amen and Amen.
- This concludes the prayers of David son of Jesse.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Psalm 72 – King James Version (KJV)
A Psalm for Solomon.
- Give the king thy judgments, O God, And thy righteousness unto the king’s son.
- He shall judge thy people with righteousness, And thy poor with judgment.
- The mountains shall bring peace to the people, And the little hills, by righteousness.
- He shall judge the poor of the people, He shall save the children of the needy, And shall break in pieces the oppressor.
- They shall fear thee as long as the sun and moon endure, Throughout all generations.
- He shall come down like rain upon the mown grass: As showers that water the earth.
- In his days shall the righteous flourish; And abundance of peace so long as the moon endureth.
- He shall have dominion also from sea to sea, And from the river unto the ends of the earth.
- They that dwell in the wilderness shall bow before him; And his enemies shall lick the dust.
- The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall bring presents: The kings of Sheba and Seba shall offer gifts.
- Yea, all kings shall fall down before him: All nations shall serve him.
- For he shall deliver the needy when he crieth; The poor also, and him that hath no helper.
- He shall spare the poor and needy, And shall save the souls of the needy.
- He shall redeem their soul from deceit and violence: And precious shall their blood be in his sight.
- And he shall live, and to him shall be given of the gold of Sheba: Prayer also shall be made for him continually; and daily shall he be praised.
- There shall be an handful of corn in the earth upon the top of the mountains; The fruit thereof shall shake like Lebanon: And they of the city shall flourish like grass of the earth.
- His name shall endure for ever: His name shall be continued as long as the sun: And men shall be blessed in him: All nations shall call him blessed.
- Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, Who only doeth wondrous things.
- And blessed be his glorious name for ever: And let the whole earth be filled with his glory; Amen, and Amen.
- The prayers of David the son of Jesse are ended.