Psalm 83 – New International Version (NIV)
A song. A psalm of Asaph.
- O God, do not remain silent; do not turn a deaf ear, do not stand aloof, O God.
- See how your enemies growl, how your foes rear their heads.
- With cunning they conspire against your people; they plot against those you cherish.
- “Come,” they say, “let us destroy them as a nation, so that Israel’s name is remembered no more.”
- With one mind they plot together; they form an alliance against you—
- the tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites, of Moab and the Hagrites,
- Byblos, Ammon and Amalek, Philistia, with the people of Tyre.
- Even Assyria has joined them to reinforce Lot’s descendants.[b]
- Do to them as you did to Midian, as you did to Sisera and Jabin at the river Kishon,
- who perished at Endor and became like dung on the ground.
- Make their nobles like Oreb and Zeeb, all their princes like Zebah and Zalmunna,
- who said, “Let us take possession of the pasturelands of God.”
- Make them like tumbleweed, my God, like chaff before the wind.
- As fire consumes the forest or a flame sets the mountains ablaze,
- so pursue them with your tempest and terrify them with your storm.
- Cover their faces with shame, Lord, so that they will seek your name.
- May they ever be ashamed and dismayed; may they perish in disgrace.
- Let them know that you, whose name is the Lord— that you alone are the Most High over all the earth.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Psalm 83 – King James Version (KJV)
A Song or Psalm of Asaph.
- Keep not thou silence, O God: Hold not thy peace, and be not still, O God.
- For, lo, thine enemies make a tumult: And they that hate thee have lifted up the head.
- They have taken crafty counsel against thy people, And consulted against thy hidden ones.
- They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; That the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance.
- For they have consulted together with one consent: They are confederate against thee:
- The tabernacles of Edom, and the Ishmaelites; Of Moab, and the Hagarenes;
- Gebal, and Ammon, and Amalek; The Philistines with the inhabitants of Tyre;
- Assur also is joined with them: They have holpen the children of Lot. Selah.
- Do unto them as unto the Midianites; As to Sisera, as to Jabin, at the brook of Kison:
- Which perished at Endor: They became as dung for the earth.
- Make their nobles like Oreb, and like Zeeb: Yea, all their princes as Zebah, and as Zalmunna:
- Who said, Let us take to ourselves The houses of God in possession.
- O my God, make them like a wheel; As the stubble before the wind.
- As the fire burneth a wood, And as the flame setteth the mountains on fire;
- So persecute them with thy tempest, And make them afraid with thy storm.
- Fill their faces with shame; That they may seek thy name, O LORD.
- Let them be confounded and troubled for ever; Yea, let them be put to shame, and perish:
- That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, Art the Most High over all the earth.